21. Comforting

"Josh?" she whispers confusedly. She's been crying, I don't know why but suddenly I'm really glad that I decided to pop in and surprise her.

"Sweetheart what happened?" I ask as she runs towards me and throws herself into my arms. I pull her onto my lap and wrap my arms around her small figure, holding her to me.

"Three years" she murmurs making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"What's in three years baby?" I ask confused as I run my hands down her back.

"Our age difference" she whispers. "It's only three years."

I'm getting more confused by the minute but I simply nod. "I know sweetheart. It's not that bad" I agree softly.

"Then why doesn't my mom see that?" she asks making my heart rate quicken.

"Your mom?" I ask in shock as I pull back a bit. "You told your mom? Baby if she tells the school-."

"I told her I like you" she clarifies. "I told her I think you like me but I didn't know. She has no idea that we're a thing."

I let out a long, deep breath. "Thank god. I'm not letting you lose your future to make out with me" I add making her chuckle as I reach up and wipe her tears, letting my hand linger on her cheek. "I'm sorry this is such a mess sweetheart."

"It's not your fault" she shakes her head as she rests her forehead against mine. "I missed you."

"Me too" I whisper before leaning forward and pressing my lips to hers in a soft, lingering kiss. When we pull apart I tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear causing her blush to intensify.

"What happened with Nate and Sofia?" she asks curiously. I sigh, shaking my head.

"Nate apologized for stealing my girlfriend. They had their reunion. I kicked them out" I reply simply. "That is one chapter of my life that I will happily keep closed."

A smile pulls at her lips as she stares back at me. "Am I the new chapter?" she asks hopefully making me smile back at her.

"Sweetheart you're the new chapter and every chapter that comes next" I reply sweetly as I gaze into her eyes. I was so far past in love with her but I knew now wasn't the moment for that confession. Not after her mom just made such a big deal out of us even liking one another.

"Maya. Dinner" Katy calls from downstairs making Maya sigh as she drops her head to my shoulder.

"I don't want you to go" she admits causing my heart to skip a beat as I wrap her in my arms again and kiss the side of her head.

"I'll see you tomorrow" I assure her. "Get downstairs and eat" I insist as I pick her up and set her on the ground. "And please lock this window behind me. I don't want Aiden to be able to surprise you." She nods as I pull open the window. "Bye sweetheart."

"Bye babe" she replies as I climb out the window.

~ 🚔 ~

I land on the ground and pull out my keys, seeing someone move across the street. My heart drops as I look back to Maya's window. If he was here there was no way in hell I was leaving this house. I sigh, heading towards the front door.

"I wouldn't do that" I hear behind me. I shake my head as I turn around to face Aiden.

"Yea?" I quirk an eyebrow at him. "And why shouldn't I?"

"Oh relax" Aiden laughs. As he steps closer I notice his bloodshot eyes and the distinctive scent of alcohol on his breath. "I wouldn't hurt her." This makes me want to burst into laughter. He wouldn't hurt her? I wonder what he called forcing himself on her.