42. The Summary Cliches

The highest I've ever crushed on a real guy is two weeks, and the highest I've ever crushed on a fictional one is two years. Should I be sad?

***

Welcome to another episode of Zarin's rants. Today, I'll be talking about the most cliched ways to start a summary. I mean, yeah, sure. The summary of The Bad Boy's Girl may start with 'Hi, I'm Tessa...' but that doesn't mean every. Freaking. Story. Ever. Has to too.

Meet Jurasila Parker ShartlessBad BoyAddictive FutureLuna VampireQueenAndCompany.

She's a totally average teenager. Gets straight As. Because every average teen gets straight As.

Meet Doggy Growls.com. He's the most popular guy in Northwest High and the alpha of Shirtless pack.

When these two meet, what do you get?

A disaster.

Hi, I'm Jurasila Parker and I, like, TOTES hate bad boys. But this guy is just... So bad, you know? And this daddy likes me. So... Enjoy.

'daddy' um okay. Totally not turned on btw.

Bad boys like bad boys. And I, the good girl can never like a bad boy. Bad. Bad boy. Bad bad bad playboy.

He's so bad, please.

Can we please find another adjective for 'bad boy'?

In Fantasy -

Gong Von La Plessa Frascessa is the queen of Kainlands. With her older sister Heiress Jenine Doesn'tLikeBoys Keng Von Tras Bien Pas CaVa she rules it. But when her step brother Voin Can Gon Les Miserables Pierre claims the throne-

Err. Last I checked, the summary was supposed to be a sneak peek about what the book is actually about. Not a list of names from babycenter.com.

In Fan fiction -

Did you know Harry Potter and Harry Styles secretly married and now they have a son named Hairmoine?

NO. PLEASE JUST... NO.

In Romance -

My billionaire growled before slamming me against the world and kissing me. Then he did this and that and this and that.....

Unless your book is an erotica (blerghhh *pukes*) then making your characters have an intense makeout session in the summary is not cool man, in my opinion. But most stories seem to have them, and somehow they get thousands of reads.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The reason why STDs are spreading.

Look, a summary is like a trailer and the firsts two lines are the most important. Why? Because it's the first thing a reader sees (along with the title and cover) So it's probably best if you don't do aforementioned crimes and instead have some eye-catching line right at the start. For example, this is a screenshot of what a reader would see when they visited my profile -

 For example, this is a screenshot of what a reader would see when they visited my profile -

My recently updated book and the first few lines of the summary. If I had written 'Hi, I'm Zarin, I just graduated high school. I'm going to be 18
On November 25, so remember to greet me!' instead, it probably wouldn't have made any of you guys want to read this book.

It still doesn't make me want to read this book.

*awkward cough*

Err. Okay. Well then, let's take another example of one of my friend's PirateCaptainZero book

 Well then, let's take another example of one of my friend's PirateCaptainZero book

Now THIS is a summary that would make you want to read a book.

And many of you might feel it's wonderful to add 'Winner of Shakalaka Boom Boom Awards' in the first line of the summary in hopes of attracting readers. Let me tell you, it doesn't work. Not really. Because there are hundreds of books that won hundreds of awards like that around here. So unless you won The Wattys, you're just wasting valuable space of your summary that you could have filled with actual sentences that would have attracted readers.

*yawn* How many times do I gotta tell you? We do NOT want to hear advices -.-

Oh. Um.

Until next time ❤

- Zarin