(44) The Other Girl

James and Mary were waiting at the waiting room for Remus to come.

And then from far they saw him.

'What were you thinking?' James shouted.
'I have planned this thing out.' Remus sat down.

James and Mary sat down on the seats opposite to him.

'What thing? This is way serious than you think.' James showed him the front page of the prophet.

Remus Lupin behind bars - Fleamont Potter Murder Case.. more than you thought?

'Ignore the prophet. I know what I am doing.'

'No, you are naive. Whatever deal you made with Orion is crap. Now, turn yourself out. Say you didn't have anything to do with this.'

'I can't do that. For that, I will have to turn Orion in.'

'So? What, you got some special bond with Orion Black going on?' James said harshly.
'James, I am doing this for all of you. I am just in here till before Christmas. That too, just in the waiting room - not an actual Askaban prison. Till then, Orion will find someone else to cover for him.'

'Listen, if he fed you some crap about protecting our families and your friends, then don't believe it. Orion Black is a bloodthirsty moron. I can't believe we are having this conversation.'

'It's just for a couple of weeks.'
'You make it sound like it's nothing. What if it goes more than that? Orion didn't sign any lease or anything. He's a fraud, Remus. Let's turn him in.' Mary said.

'He killed my father. He ruined Sirius' life. He tried to kill me.' James shouted. 'Does that mean anything to you? I am done with you. Rot in prison, for all I care.' James sighed walking away.

' James sighed walking away

'Don't do this.' Mary said.
'It's for all of you.' Remus said.

'What about you? You make it sound like, you are unimportant. Well, guess what you are very important to me and I don't want to lose you. I love you, Remus.' Mary said.

Remus didn't say anything. 'Mary.'

'And if you even care about me, the slightest bit - you will turn Orion Black in at tomorrow's hearing.' She kissed his cheek lightly, then walked away without a goodbye.

Leaving Remus stand alone in the cold, starry December night.