The man went silent for a long moment. “Jonah told me what happened.” He murmured. “With…Noble and everything.”

“He had no right to do that.”

“I know.” Keith said softly. “And he knows it too. But sometimes big brothers break the rules to help out their little sister.”

“How does…” she shook her head. “How does this help me?” She turned suddenly, eyes brimming. “What do you want, Keith? We were through a long time ago, why are you here now?”

“That was my fault.” He told her quietly. “Us breaking up.”

“What?” She shook her head. “No, I was the one who…”

“Perhaps.” Keith said. “But you realized your mistake and you tried to fix it. I was the one who walked away.” He licked his lips slowly and out of nowhere her mind was exploding with memories of his kisses. Even now she could still feel the warmth and softness of his lips on hers. Every single kiss he’d ever given her had made the tips of her toes tingle and her heart flutter wildly. How had she ever thought she was in love with Jonah? Even if he had been straight? And Noble…he was a great kisser but he had never had such an effect on her – though she suspected he might have that very effect on Jonah.

“What does it matter anymore?” she whispered and turned away again, her throat aching, tears rising. “That’s ancient history.”

“Well,” Keith cleared his throat. “Historians might disagree that a mere seven years qualifies as ancient history.” She just stared off the porch without replying. “And too, legally…transgressions are annulled after the seven year mark. Statute of limitations.”

“What’re you talking about, Keith?” she asked thickly.

“I’m saying,” His hands touched her shoulders and she stiffened, heart shuddering. “That you’re right about it being history. We were kids, we made mistakes as kids do. But why should we have to pay for those mistakes the rest of our lives?”

“Keith…”

“Do you still love me, Becky?” he whispered, a sudden strain in his voice. “Did you ever really…stop?”

She trembled. That was one answer she didn’t have to contemplate. But even so, she wasn’t ready to admit it out loud – to Keith or herself. “Did you?” The words barely made it off her lips before fading out. Had he even heard her?

“No.” His lips touched her hair then his brow pressed against the back of her head. “I’ve spent the last seven years regretting my choices. Sick inside that I ever let you go. If…If I hadn’t been too proud to accept that everyone makes mistakes, and just let you come back to me then…we would be married now, have children.” He swallowed hard and kissed her hair again. “We would be happy, and still as crazy in love as ever.”

Her arms squeezed her waist as she ducked her head and began to cry softly.

Keith turned her to him and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. “I still want all that, Becky. I never stopped wanting you to be my wife.” Emotion squeezed his voice. “When I saw you and your mom in the city, and saw that ring on your finger,” He buried his face in her hair. “Baby, I died all over again. I thought I had lost you forever.”

She shook her head and cried against his shoulder. “You don’t want me, Keith. I’m not a good person. I blamed Jonah for everything. I treated him so bad for so long, and then…caused Noble so much pain.”

“Jonah explained all that to me.” He whispered. “And never once did he say, or even imply, that you were a bad person. Sometimes,” He lifted her chin, urging her to meet his eyes. “Sometimes it’s a rough that leads you back home. But it still takes you there.”

Her chin trembled. “Where is home?”

“You’re in it.” He murmured and tightened his arms around her. “Right here, in these arms.” He leaned down and brushed his lips across her mouth. “And they’ve been missing you for a long, long time.” His kiss was sweet, intoxicating – just as she remembered it.

......................

The Lord works in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform.

The words played through Mason’s thoughts as he watched his family – now somewhat increased in size – gather around the dinner table. He could almost see with the physical eye the wounds healing, as well as the hearts. What had been so recently a shattered home filled with broken relationships…was now a family coming back together, embracing one another rather than pushing away. Hearts learning to understand and accept the differences that made each person unique, and loving each other for those differences, rather than in spite of them.

Colleen slipped her hand into his and smiled, her eyes misting, as her daughter took her rightful place at the side of the man God had picked out for her.

Across the table from them, Jonah took great care in making certain Noble was comfortable, all the little touches and looks and smiles that passed between the two young men shouting out the depth of their love for one another.

Jonah glanced up and caught his dad’s eye, smiled and winked.

What were you so worried about? He wondered at himself. God had it all figured out from the start.

He gazed back at Jonah, amazed by the heart that lived inside his son, and returned his smile then looked at his family lovingly. “Let us give thanks.”

Hands intertwined, heads bowed, and he had no doubt that the good Lord received an abundance of gratitude and love that evening from this small family alone.

 _____________________________________

NOTE: Stay tuned for the EPILOGUE  - the boys have earned their "moment" ;) and I'm not one to cheat my boys - or any of you! ;) haha