Heart To Heart

Hope I don't shock anyone to death by posting so many at once ;) lol

_________________________________________________

“Wake up to the morning light
Wipe away the lonely nights
Let a brand new day wash over you,
Wanna see you smile again
Show some love to your crazy friends
Wipe your tears away
Those days are through.”

- Hold On,  TOBY MAC

_________________________

 Noble hadn’t realized he’d dropped off until he awoke to Mason at his bedside. He vaguely recalled Jonah telling him he had to run into town for a bit and that his dad would stay there with him.

“Hey, bright eyes.” Mason smiled. “How you doing?”

Groaning as he shifted beneath the blankets, Noble offered a tired smile. “Except for the excruciating pain when I try to breathe – great.”

“When did you last take a pain pill?”

“Just a few minutes before you showed up.” He said. “But I’m okay. I’m still feeling the effects of the medication.”

“Okay.” Mason murmured. “But if the pain flares back up, you let me know.”

“I will.” Noble assured with a smile.

“Are you hungry?” he asked. “I can whip you up something edible.”

“Yeah.” Noble nodded. “But just something light. A sandwich is fine.”

“Then a sandwich is it.” Mason winked. “Be back in a jiff.”

Laying against the pillows, Noble watched the man leave then turned his eyes to the ceiling. A dull pain throbbed in his ribs and flared just a little if he took too deep a breath, but it was bearable. He listened to Mason rummaging in the kitchen. From the moment Noble had met him, Mason had regarded him as his own son. He thought about his own parents and couldn’t help but wonder why some kids we blessed with parents like Mason, and others…cursed with parents like his own. Noble didn’t believe God was unjust, but that was something he didn’t understand.

Even now, he tried to find a reason why his mom and dad had done the things they’d done to him. With people like that…his being gay was simply their excuse to abuse him. Had he not been gay, he was certain they would have found another reason. He didn’t believe they were capable of loving him. And though it seemed it shouldn’t matter after all the hell they had put him through – somehow it still did. It left a lasting scar on a person’s heart, their soul, when their own parents couldn’t love them, and even seemed to hate them. Noble had tried to be a good son. He hadn’t went through the typical teenage rebellion. He’d been respectful, did well in school and didn’t get into trouble, did his chores around the house without argument – even took the beatings without cursing them, accepting the abuse as a necessary action to save his soul from hell. He had tried to love them…but they made no way for it.

He closed his eyes and saw the pure hatred in his father’s face as he’d beat him down this last time. What made some people hate so much? And others…

“Still awake?” Mason returned with a plate which contained a ham sandwich cut in half, a few slices of an apple and a pudding cup. Mason chuckled as he set the plate on the night stand, along with a glass of milk. “I can’t believe my son is still addicted to these snack packs. I swear, when he was a kid, he would’ve had them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.” He glanced at Noble and winked. “You should thank me for limiting his intake…or else he might not be the fit, sexy man you know and love today.”