Colleen fidgeted. “That’s kind of what I wanted to ask you.”

“I don’t follow.”

“Are…we going to be okay?” she asked softly.

Jonah frowned, a puzzled smile on his face. “I wasn’t aware there was any question there.”

Shaking her head slowly, Colleen stared at her hands. “The way I acted…”

“It’s over.” Jonah interjected. “Maybe we all said and did some things we shouldn’t have. But we got through it.” He walked over and hugged her tight. “And we’re going to be just fine. All of us.”

She swallowed thickly, her eyes damp. “You’re a good son, Jonah.”

He smiled then kissed her cheek. “And you’re a good mom.”

“Thank you.” She whispered, then glanced towards the kitchen doorway. “I’m a little worried about Rebecca. She’s putting a brave front about all this, I just hope she doesn’t withdraw and shut her heart away.”

Clearing his throat, Jonah arched an eyebrow. “Well, we just won’t give her time to do that.”

“What do you mean-”

The doorbell rang. Jonah smiled. “You’re about to find out.” He walked out of the kitchen and went to the front door. “Right on time.” He told the anxious man waiting on the other side. “Come in.”

“I hope this wasn’t a mistake.”

Jonah smiled and closed the door behind him. “It isn’t.” he led the way to the living room archway and cleared his throat, drawing attention. “I hope no one minds an extra guest for dinner.”

Glancing up from the sofa, Rebecca’s eyes widened and Jonah was pretty sure he heard her heart skid to a stop and crash into her ribs.

......................

Keith?

Rebecca stared in stunned silence. She was hallucinating, she had to be. Gaining control, her eyes cut to Jonah. His trademark little smirk worked up the corner of his mouth as if he were so proud of himself for this ingenious move. He met her stare – or rather glare – and smiled. She was sure he thought he was doing her a favor of some kind, but she didn’t want this. And certainly not like this – where all attention was on her all of the sudden, everyone waiting expectantly to see what she would do. This isn’t fair, Jonah. What was she to do? To walk out would be rude, but how could she play the part of greeting an old friend? Keith was not an old friend. And she couldn’t pretend he was.

She stood up slowly, opened her mouth to at least say hello, but instead whispered, “Excuse me.” And slipped past them, walking quickly to the front door.

“Rebecca?” Colleen called after from the kitchen doorway but she just shook her head and hurried outside.

When the door opened a few minutes later, she was sure it was Jonah come to try and explain himself. “I didn’t ask for this, Jonah.” She said thickly, arms wrapped tightly around her waist, her back to the man. “You had no right to bring him here.”

Hard sole shoes scuffed the wooden planks of the porch as he came closer. “Well it wasn’t all Jonah’s idea.”

Rebecca’s breath caught, her body going rigid. A slight dizziness gripped her.

“He was just the instigator.” Keith chuckled softly, then cleared his throat. “But I didn’t exactly fight him on it.”

Swallowing thickly, Rebecca whispered, “Why are you here?”