4. Emotions and Questions

"So?" I blinked twice as I watched him

"So?" I blinked twice as I watched him. I held my breath as it hitched in my throat. What was he planning?

He pushed off the table and stood in front of me. If he were to lean forward, I would be able to feel the edges of his shirt or the tickle of his breath against my skin. I wasn't sure how I felt about his nearness, but a shiver decided to run up the edges of my arms. "Close your eyes," he instructed. His voice was soft. I couldn't tell if he was trying to tease me some more, play a wicked game, or actually help me.

I narrowed my eyes. "What are you planning to do, Clark McCarley?"

He tilted his head to the side. I hadn't noticed until now how often he did that when he was lost in thought, or the way his lips quirked up when he'd made a decision. He was silent for a few moments before the corner of his lip turned upward. "Let's call it distracting you from your nerves."

Distractions. It felt like this week was full of them.

"And what makes you an expert?" My heart picked up speed in my chest. His long, dark lashes cast shadows against his cheeks. He was so close I could see the small cracks in his lips and the flecks of color that swam in his eyes.

"I already asked you if you trusted me or not." He skirted around answering my question.

Exasperated, I closed my eyes and waited for him to speak again. The quiet buzzing of the light above us made me want to twitch, but I balled my hands into fists and held my breath instead.

Finally, after what had felt like waiting for minutes, he spoke very softly and near to my ear. His breath tickled the edge of my skin, and it took everything in me not to back away. He was so close. "Clear your mind."

Why didn't I back away? Why didn't I run as far as I could? How could I clear my mind when I had just read a bombshell that had changed my entire perspective on my own life? My mind was the complete opposite of clear.

I snorted and opened my eyes. I pressed my palm against his chest and pushed him away a little. A little distance was needed. "Seriously, this is your big distraction plan?" I asked, raising a brow.

This mysteriousness was beginning to get annoying, but I found myself cracking a small smile.

He placed his hands on his hips and his lips turned into a hard line. Despite trying to appear serious, the edges of his eyes crinkled from the smile he was holding in. "Your laughing at me is obviously not clearing your mind," he pointed out. He took a few steps closer, removing the distance I had created between us. He put both of his hands on either side of my face as he stared into my eyes. "Close your eyes." I froze under as touch. His hands were cold against my warm cheeks, and I was sure they were blushed under his touch.

Somehow, I obeyed and squeezed my hands together in my lap. I went completely still and closed my eyes. The longer his hands held onto my face, the warmer they became. Instead of the ice I had originally felt, they were now comfortably warm. Unable to resist his words, as if whatever he said was a melodic tune I couldn't escape, I tried to clear my mind. I was ultra aware of his soft, large hands on my cheeks. They were warm against my skin, sending small sparks of electricity through my veins. Behind my eyelids, blue sparks appeared.