17. Confusion

We were quiet for the ride

We were quiet for the ride. The trees were a blur outside the window, a mess of yellow and green as the leaves were starting to bloom. If I thought about things enough, I could still feel his lips against my skin. I closed my eyes. I wanted to hate him, but I couldn't bring myself to. He had come back and pulled Tab and I from the accident. He had healed us. Knowing that bit of information made me not want to hate him, but I knew what he was and could only imagine what he was capable of.

He had told me he had killed people, yet here he sat driving me home and making sure I was alright. Every single thing he'd warned me about him didn't seem real, yet I believed the scariest parts of him did exist. I still wasn't afraid of him. I still didn't hate him.

It sure as hell was confusing.

He pulled into the long driveway in front of my house and pared beside my car in front of the garage. He turned the car off, and he walked around the car to open my door. I held back a sarcastic retort about being a gentleman.

I'd assumed he would have just dropped me off, but he followed me up to the front door.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath as I fished through my pocket for my key. I'd left everything in Tab's car during the accident. It wasn't like I could have reminded myself to pick something up when I was unconscious.

Clark smirked and pulled something out of his pocket. He held my small pink wallet toward me. The last I'd seen it, I had sat it on the dashboard of the car. "When I pulled you out, I figured you wouldn't want to have lost this." He dropped it into my hands. "Seems like there was a lot of important things in there."

"You better not have gone through it." I fished the key out of one of the card holders I always had it stuffed in. "Thank you." I unlocked the door and stepped through, leaving it ajar for him to follow me inside. "I thought you were just going to drop me off, since you've already done your good deed for the day."

He cocked his head to the side and rose a brow. "I'm supposed to make sure you get straight to bed, remember? Doctor's orders."

I shrieked as he bent over and swept me off my feet.

He put one arm around my torso and the other under my legs. I laughed and kicked as I pushed my hands against his chest, which only resulted in more laughter from him. I was weak against him, and it only reaffirmed that if anyone really wanted to kill me, they'd probably have an easy time doing it. I probably couldn't even fight my way out of a wet paper bag.

He kicked my door open and dropped me onto the middle of my bed.

"How did you even know where my bed was?" I grumbled and laid my head back agains the pillows and yanked the throw blanket over my shoulders. I tried my best to keep myself awake. My heart drummed against my chest as I watched him walk around me room. I felt small against his tall figure.

He stalked across my room and toward my desk. His amusement left his eyes as his fingers brushed across the wood surface and then stopped above the drawer where I'd hidden the note.