Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

"You're fucking him aren't you!?" Instantly, Fiona's heart sank. She knew that Daniel decided to follow them to the zoo and spy on them. 

"Evy, honey, go to your room." Fiona pushed her frightened daughter who stared at her father with wide eyes. Eva couldn't move from her place as she looked at Daniel because she knew exactly what was going to happen next. 

But Daniel pretended that Eva didn't exist, "you're cheating on me?"

At Daniel's shaky voice, Fiona knew the man was losing it and it was time to leave. It was time to leave her demented "fantasy" behind. She endured the monster too long and it was time to leave and give Eva a better life than this. How could she be that stupid to stick around anyway?

"Do you love him, Fay?" Fiona's eye twitched as her goosebumps traveled up her body, he never called her that nickname in years. 

"Fay, I love you...how could you do this?" Daniel said as his fingers combed back his oily hair. Then, Daniel's eyes traveled to Eva with a nervous smile, the man crouched down and placed his hands on Eva's shoulders as he locked eyes with the little girl. 

Eva couldn't see anything but madness in her so called father, she didn't see no mercy she didn't see anything else but madness. She saw a ticking time bomb that was going to explode any second and she feared that. 

"F-Fay, we have a beautiful baby g-girl together, how could you do this...?" Eva watched her father's eye twitch as he started to breathe heavily.

Fiona licked her lips and swallowed hard before she spoke, "Daniel...you've cheated multiple times...you've had different women everyday till this day-" 

In a blink of an eye, Fiona was on the floor and Daniel was towering over her. 

"NO! DANIEL! STOP IT!" 

Fiona's terrified words will forever echo in Eva's head. Sometimes when she used to sit in a quiet place, sometimes, if she listened carefully, she could still hear it. 

"WHAT ABOUT US FIONA!? WHAT ABOUT US!?" Daniel said as he kicked his wife as if she was a stray dog who stole a piece of meat from the butcher. 

"Stop it!" Eva climbed on her father and hit his face several times before he threw her to the floor beside her mother. 

When Daniel left the house, Fiona and Eva did the same. Eva was too scared to ask her mother questions, she was too terrified to speak. She couldn't utter a word and it was the same for Fiona. 

They walked silently, they rode the train silently and they held hands so tight that Eva felt her hand go numb. 

"We're going somewhere safe, Eva, okay?" As Eva looked up at her mother, she did not see fear anymore she did not hear her voice tremble, no, all of a sudden her mother was confident again, she was strong again and she saw anger in her eyes. 

Eva only nodded though, because unlike her mother now, she was terrified. She didn't ever think she would be as brave as her mother. 

Eva and Fiona took an elevator up to the 12th floor of an apartment that looked decent- better than their place anyway. Fiona knocked on a well polished brown door with the number 801 on it, instantly the door opened and it revealed Henry. 

"Fiona?" Henry said in confusion- he never expected to see the both of them. 

"Can we come in?" Fiona said shyly as her grip on Eva's hand grew stronger. 

"Of course- is everything okay?" Fiona explained everything to Henry and Eva watched as Henry grew angrier by the minute, but as the two adults were fuming with emotions, Eva was blank. 

At that moment she couldn't feel anything at all. 

"He can't keep doing that to you two!" Henry said as he placed a glass of milk in front of Eva but as Eva stared at the milk, she felt nauseous.

The whole night, Henry tried to comfort Fiona and Eva but because Eva didn't show much of what she was feeling- because she only felt numb- Henry focused more on Fiona. 

When it was bedtime, Eva slept on the sofa while Fiona and Henry shared his room. 

While the two adults thought that Eva was fast asleep, Fiona broke her one rule. Daniel was always unfaithful, always abusive and now he was mad, so why would she keep that one rule anyway? Her one rule was to never have sex with another man. 

But today was the first day Henry and Fiona made love to one another.