Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

Eva gasped loudly at the scene in front of her, the chair was toppled on the floor along with Fiona while Daniel was punching the woman repeatedly, screaming words Eva couldn't pick up on.

Either it was because her mind was racing so fast it started to shake in her skull or her father was spitting words because he was too angry to properly pronounce them.

But Eva did the first thing that came to mind, she ran and jumped on her father, she poked him in the eyes and pulled his nose.

Her father groaned in pain but immediately pulled his scrawny daughter and slammed Eva on the floor, smacking the back of her head on the floor.

That night, Eva also took her share of beating.

The next day in school, Eva had a cut on her lower lip and a bruised eye that made her science teacher, Henry Craft, worried. Henry noticed that Eva was the top student in majority of her subjects, she was a bright girl and she had a bright future, he only hoped her father wouldn't ruin it for her.

Her brains was not the only thing that he noticed, her classmates bullied her and it never went unnoticed by him. Unlike other teachers, he never let it go. No, he stopped it just in time when it happened.

After all, Eva was his favorite student.

"Hey King, did your father beat you again?" Josh, who sat behind her snickered as he threw a ball of paper at her head, "you're a little brat, you deserve it." At his words, his little followers giggled slowly, hoping that mr Craft wouldn't hear.

But of course, Henry always heard the harsh words Eva's bullies would say.

"Josh, I think that's-" Henry's jaw fell dramatically as he saw Eva jump out of her seat and tackle the boy to the ground, punching him repeatedly in the face as she growled.

The other children were terrified at the sight, but Henry secretly allowed Eva to take her revenge on Josh since he was always the first to pester her.

Before things could escalate further and get Eva into deeper trouble, Henry lifted Eva off of the boy with ease, "alright, I think that's enough for today." The man said in a calm tone, he knew if he shouted like any other teacher would, it would only rile up the kids even further.

"S-She hit me!" Josh said, rubbing the blood off of his nose gently as he started to cry.

"I know, Josh. I saw." Henry said as he told one of Josh's friend, Mike, to help the boy up and send him to the nurse's office.

Henry took Eva outside to have a chat but the whole time, she couldn't look him in the eye, her fists were drawn into balls as her jaw kept clenching dramatically.

"I'm not here to scold you." Henry said as he bent down to Eva's level, "what's going on at home?" Instantly at Henry's soft spoken words, a tear slipped down Eva's cheek.

"Daniel is just being mean again." Eva stopped calling Daniel father or dad 2 years ago, she couldn't give him the title anymore since he never was a father anyway.

Henry sighed as his heart sank, "Eva if you ever need my help, please feel free to call me. Do not hesitate." Eva already had Henry's number, it wasn't the first time that she managed to utter a few words of Daniel's abuse to Henry.

He was the only one out of the house that she could talk to anyway.

Fiona carried Eva's bag with a loud sigh as they both came out of the principles' office, "can you please tell me why you hit Mike again? I wanna hear it from you, not from your principle."

"I hit Josh not Mike. He said I deserved being hit by Daniel, because I was a lil' brat." Eva said as she scoffed, pushing her fists in the pockets of her orange jacket.

Fiona sighed again as she opened the door for her daughter to sit down in the car, "what're you gonna do in the future Evy? Punch everyone in the face who're being mean to you?"

"If I have to, I will!" Eva pouted as she stared out the window, avoiding her mother's stern look.

Fiona shifted the car to drive and before an unsettling silence could loom upon them, a thought came to Fiona's mind.

"Evy? Darling?" At her mother's sweet voice, Eva responded by looking at her.

Even though Fiona was smiling Eva could see past it, her mother was tired and her soul was crushed and it was all because of one man that Eva learned to hate the most.

"I think I know what'll make you feel better." Her mother said as she took a sharp turn.

"Ice cream?"

Her mother chuckled knowing that Eva's usual sudden craving for dessert kicked in, "sure, but I was thinking maybe we could visit the zoo?" As Eva's eyes lit up and as her lips turned into an upwards curve, a warm feeling set in Fiona's stomach.

She'd give anything to see Eva happy all the time.

"I think our little tigress misses her friend, let's go see how she's holding up, shall we?"