three

"And even though your friends tell me you're doing fine."

Luke, Ashton, Michael and I were at the coffee shop today because we all needed some bonding time since I haven't been a part of the things they've done together.

As we all took our seats, Michael folded his hands and placed them on the table. "What do guys want-"

"Hot chocolate with whipped cream." The rest of us said simultaneously.

"Well damn, you could've at least let me finish my question." Michael scoffed.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever now go get out frinks." Luke shooed him.

"You're bringing sassy back." Michael chuckled, then walked away.

I moved seats - sitting in Michael's seat right next to Ashton. "So..."

"So..." They both say back.

"How's life?" I ask.

"Seriously?" Luke laughs, "How's life?"

I raised an eyebrow, "Then what do you want me to say?"

"I don't know I-."

"Uh, guys..." Ashton interrupted, looking behind us.

"What?" Luke and I say in unison.

"Look behind you." So we did, and it's them.

Her friends, laughing and smiling about something, until they faced our way.

I turned around and Ashton was motioning them to come here, so I kicked him under the table.

"Ow, Calum! The fuck was that for?!"

As they got closer I plastered a fake smile on my face. "I. Don't. Want. Them. To. Come. Here."

"Well, too late." Ashton sticks his tongue.

"Hey guys!" One of herfriends chirps.

"Ey!" Luke smiles.

I groaned quietly and set my head in my arms.

"What's wrong with Calum?" She questions.

"Uh," Ashton coughs. "He's not doing fine."

"Ah, I see."

'Okay. Conversation died. Can you please go away now?' I thought.

"Hey um," I hear Luke speak. "How is she?"

For a moment, I could imagine her smile fade away from her face.

"She's... Fine."

Hesitation.

"Well..." She sighed, "My friends are calling me. I'll uh, see you guys later."

I kept my head down for a few seconds then looked up slowly. I heard something thump under the table and Luke hissed.

"Did you have to say that?!" Ashton yells.

"I'm sorry!" Luke whines. "The conversation died so I had to say something!"

"Well you could've just left it dead!"

"Okay! okay! I get it. I now know what not to say when we see them again."

"Good. Now where's Michael?"

I looked down at my hands and played around with my ring finger.

Even though her friends tell me she's doing fine, I know she's actually not.

And neither am I.