14

After finally managing to get the class to settle down and finishing the register, Mr Adler pulls a block of wood out of a yellow box and slams it onto the front workbench.

"This, my boy, is wood," he announces unnecessarily, "I'm going to teach you how to cut wood, but today we're only going to be using a tenon saw and a coping saw to keep it real simple."

He unlocks the tall blue tool cupboard with a key that hangs around his neck and pulls out two things. One is a long saw with lots of sharp but tiny teeth along the bottom and a blue handle.

The other thing is a wooden object that sort of looks like half of a torture device.
It has a thin base and blocks of wood screwed around in a U shape. There's a couple of slits between them.

He places them on the workbench and points to the saw.

"This is a tenon saw. It is very sharp and will slice your fingers off if you screw around," he holds up his left hand to show me that at some point in his life he's sliced off the tip of his index finger, "however it is good for sawing wood."

He slides the block of wood into the torture device.

"This is a jig. I don't know why it's called this but that's what the author's teacher said it was called but when she googled it to look for a picture to help describe it, it didn't bring up the thing she wanted so we'll just pretends that's what it's called," he says, tapping the torture device, "this helps us cut wood accurately. If you have inaccurate wood then you've been screwing around too much."

I nod and he starts sawing, telling me about how to stand and hold onto the wood whilst you saw with one hand. I don't concentrate on what he's saying as I already know how to do this. Instead I look around the room at the other students.

Cartman is sawing wood rather viciously, using his weight as an advantage.
Phillip is watching Damien as he simply clicks his fingers to make the correct sizes of wood appear. A long line of students has appeared at their workbench because they're too lazy to do the work themselves.

Clyde is chatting to Craig, Token and Tweek whilst they work. I overhear some female names so it's easy to assume that he's talking about women (and probably how many he's slept with)
Token, Clyde and Craig are working quickly confidently whilst Tweek is working slowly and nervously, moving the saw slowly and barely moving it.

"New kid! Are you listening?" Mr Adler prods me with the saw handle. "Repeat what I said."

"If you screw around too much you'll be in detention because screwing around results in injuries."

"Good. Now, we are currently making a clock face using different types of wood and some acrylic, but I'd rather you practiced for a while first. Why don't you try using the tenon saw to make something? And, if you're feeling really clever, try using a coping saw!"

He walks off to his desk, opens the draw and pops some nicotine gum into his mouth.

I stick the block of wood in the vice and tighten it to make sure it doesn't move whilst i saw into it. I steal a quick glance over at Kenny's workbench before starting my own mini project.

An hour and a half later, the bell rings loudly to signal the end of class. I throw the scrap wood into the trash and quickly shove the wood I've been working on into a plastic wallet.

I decided to spell out Kenny's name in wood, paint them, glue them to a large piece of cardboard and give it to him as a gift for either his birthday of Christmas.
So far I've cut out 'Ken' but I'm going to finish it whenever I can.

Speaking of Kenny, I spot him waiting outside the class for me. Since this was a double class, it's recess.
I walk out of the class and smile at him.