Chapter 22: Demands and Wishes

Start from the beginning

"No, I did not!" I denied vehemently, shaking my head for added flair.

Okay, so maybe I did. But it shouldn't be taken against me. Kenji had been my crush for the longest time. And although I was currently in love with the most deliciously annoying boy that had ever had the nerve to exist, there was no way I would allow myself to look like a sack of potato during my first ever bonding moment with Kenji.

Sophie giggled.

"I'm just kidding. Relax."

Kenji was just watching us with a smile on his face the whole time. I saw him reached out to hold Sophie's hand and kissed it.

Awww. That was so sweet. I felt like I just instantly got diabetes.

The fact that I could watch them now being all lovey dovey with each other without bawling in tears proved that I had already moved on from my infatuation with Kenji.

Sophie finally realized that she had not introduced us yet so she turned to face me again and smiled apologetically.

"Sky, this is Kenji. Babe, this is Sky."

Kenji looked at me through the rearview mirror and grinned.

"We know each other, babe." Kenji said, his chinky eyes sparkling. He said it as if we were secret buddies with a long history of going on exciting adventures every other week.

"Really? That's great!" Sophie exclaimed, looking pleasantly surprised.

"He saved me from drowning to my death back in seventh grade." I said, extremely grateful to finally be given the chance to talk to Kenji about that incident. "Thank you."

Kenji's cheeks reddened.

"It's nothing." He said humbly. "I gave you CPR, I was the only person there who knew how to."

The way he was downplaying his heroism was too adorable. I wanted to pinch him on both cheeks.

"You saved my life." I said, trying to pour in all of the gratitude I felt for him throughout the years in that four words.

Cheeks still flaming, Kenji scratched the back of his neck.

"Uhm, actually, It was Hunter who dived into the pool to save you."

I felt like a bomb exploded in my face. My heart stopped beating. Really, it honestly did.

"What?"

Sophie gave me an incredulous look.

"Don't tell me you didn't know?"

I shook my head, feeling like I was in a bubble. My memory of that incident was hazy but I clearly remembered it was Kenji I saw when I opened my eyes after my lungs finally released all of the chlorinated water I accidentally gulped down while drowning. Hunter wasn't there, I was sure of it. Or was he?

No, it didn't make any sense. Why didn't he tell me it was him who saved me? He read my letter for Kenji, for pete's sake! Why didn't his friends mention anything about it? Why did no one tell me?