Chapter 22: Demands and Wishes

Start from the beginning

"Is it because of Rachel?" I asked. I was worried she was bullied into quitting by the other cheerleaders. That was horrible but not too impossible.

Sophie laughed at my expression.

"Don't worry, it has nothing to do with Rachel. We already made up."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"That's good to hear."

Sophie faced me. In the sunlight, her eyes glistened. I noticed she looked relaxed and peaceful now which was the complete opposite of when I saw her last. She was glowing like an angel. I'm sure I looked like a serial killer next to her.

"I just suddenly came to a realization that I didn't want to do it anymore. Quitting the squad is the best decision I made for myself." She said before smiling serenely.

I nudged her shoulder and gave her an encouraging smile.

"I'm happy for you." I said.

"Thanks, Sky."

We sat in comfortable silence for a while. The afternoon breeze was making me sleepy. She suddenly turned to me as if she just remembered something.

"Hey, Sky, wanna come with us later? We're going to watch a basketball game between Diamond Crest and St. Mary." Her pale blue eyes were telling me she wouldn't take no for an answer, like she was prepared to drag me to the game dead or alive if I ever refused.

I hesitated for a bit. I wasn't really big on sports. Unless it was a sport being played in the air on a broomstick with quaffles and snitches then I wasn't interested.

But then, I couldn't possibly pass on this chance to deepen my friendship with Sophie. I felt extremely happy that she invited me, of all people. It almost seemed like she considered me as her friend now which was surreal.

"Sure!" I said, making an effort to sound enthusiastic.

Sophie clapped.

"Great! We'll pick you up at your house at six. Let me get your number." She brought out her phone and immediately typed in my number.

The bell for the next class sounded the moment she hit save.

We both stood up to get to our separate classes. I had AP Literature for my next class while she was going to Calculus.

We were at the entrance of the building when I remembered something.

"Hey, Sophie! Who will be with us later?"

Sophie's eyes turned into hearts.

"My boyfriend, Kenji."

***

Present...

"You look good, Sky!" Sophie commented, giving my outfit a satisfied look. She was seated on the passenger side of the car so she had to turn her body to face me at the backseat.

She gave me a teasing smile. "If I didn't know better, I would think you dressed up for my boyfriend."

I almost fell down on my seat.