Nonsense - A Short Story - Part I - Recently Edited

Nonsense

Written by Kevin Cawley

Part I

    The door, creaking open, let a feather of light enter the floorboard room.

    James Walsh got out of bed to investigate.  Unsure of what it could be he grabbed the steel bar next to his bed as he slowly tiptoed across the room to the crack-opened door.  The floor creaked as he went across it despite his efforts to be quiet.

    CRASH!!!!!!!

    He jumped so high he almost bumped his head on the roof when he heard a number of items fall to the ground.  Then sounds came from the living room hurrying to escape without being caught.

    It was clear to him at this point that he was being robbed.  Well, living in New York you couldn't expect much, but nonetheless this was his first time and his legs were shaking incredibly fast, giving the boards another reason to racket.

    James was only a thirty year old man who had just celebrated his birthday thirty days prior, even though the image he protrayed made him look far closer to the age of fifty.  He had a bald spot on the top of his head and wide glasses with thick frames.  He was fairly strong but not enough for a robber whom was probably armed.

    Shortly after the crash the sound of feet scuttling fast around the room could be heard and then at last a window being broken; then silence leapt into the condo.

    He waited a short bit to ensure the robbers had gone then he pulled the door open fully and walked through letting the hallway lights blind him for a second as his eyes adjusted to the brightness.

    Using his arm as a shield, he began walking down the long hallway and passing many untouched rooms, he made a left and entered the living room.  This is where he was greatly shocked.

    Upon closer, closer, and even closer inspection nothing was taken, not a hair was removed from the place nor any dust unsettled.  The window had indeed been shattered but glancing around the room he saw nothing to justify it.  He noticed what had made the crashing sound at once and ran over to pick up a small metal folding table, on top of it were a few tin plates and at last a box he had received from his mother just days before she passed away.

    He looked in the box to make sure nothing was stolen.  After removing a few items (all which were accounted for) he saw that a picture had been shattered.  The frame itself was in perfect condition, gleaming with gold, and the glass protecting the Kodak paper was untouched however the film paper-material which the picture was printed on had been shattered like the glass would've if it had fallen onto the floor (which it had).

    A puzzled look forced its way to the front of Mr. Walsh's old looking face.  Amazed and bewildered he couldn't make any sense of it.

    "Nonsense!" he roared as he felt his hand clenching into a fist and his head becoming redder then a tomato.

    He threw the picture down into the box with very little force.  As soon as it touched the soft papers within, the glass had cracked just very slightly near the bottom.

    James was looking more confused then ever as he pondered the possibilities of everything.

    Now, there is something you must realize with James.  He was a happy thirty year old, with no regrets with the life he chose.  He was dating a very pretty twenty seven year old and they were getting along quite nicely.  However he didn’t like things out of the ordinary.  If something were strange or peculiar in anyway he would throw a fit and make it changed to his "normal" ways even if he had to change it himself.  He only watched serious movies and absolutely despised any fantasy movie or action packed films with immense amounts of guns for the simple fact that it was not practical.  'There was no way Arnold Schwazenegger could be shot at that many times and not get hit, it was utter.... nonsense.'