Eighteen || Sleep Tight

Start from the beginning

     "You just...you click so well with us, Jacy," Scott told her. "You weren't here for basically the first year of us being thrown into the supernatural world, but it feels like you were. You make sense with us."

     Jacy smiled lightly. "Like I belong here?"

     "You do belong here. You belong with us, with the pack. We wouldn't be the same without you."

      Jace bit her lip, having to look away. "You guys gave me the acceptance no one else could," she said. "Honestly, I think being with the pack is the only reason I'm still around. After my clairvoyance was triggered life was really hard, especially in a school of hateful people. Skeptics. Bullies. You guys...you took me in for who I was and helped me embrace it. I think you all saved me from myself."

     Scott's cheeks nearly hurt from how hard he was smiling, the alpha holding out his arms to her. "Don't say something like that to me without expecting a hug," he told her, wiggling his fingers.

     Jacy got up from the wall, meeting Scott in the middle and hugging him tightly. She rested her chin on his shoulder, shutting her eyes as she willed herself not to cry. "Thank you," she whispered.

     "You're family, Jacy. You don't-"

     The lights overhead crackled violently, shorting out in harsh bursts.

     "Did a ghost cause that?" Scott asked as they pulled apart, attention averting upward.

     Jacy shook her head. "No, ghosts aren't causing this."

     "Then who..." Scott's expression shifted. "You don't think-"

     "I think they knew we were coming," Jacy said, finishing his thought. "We need to get them and get out of here."

     "How? How do we get them?" he quickly asked, heart beginning to race as he tried to press up against the invisible barrier.

     The alarm began to blare throughout the building.

     Intruders.

     "They're inside," Jacy said, looking up to the ceiling. Her head turned to the gate the girls disappeared through, screaming at the top of her lungs. "Allison! Lydia! Let's go!"

     But then the clicking came.

     Scott turned slowly, eyes going to the door they'd come through. "Do you-"

     "Oh my God," Jacy uttered, eyes wide.

     They were there.

     The Dread Doctors loomed just outside, uncomfortable vibrations and clicks radiating off of them.

     But they weren't idle in the darkness of Eichen's basement. No, they were trying to open the gate. Trying to get to them.

     Yet Allison and Lydia didn't surface.

     "Come on," Jacy finally stressed to Scott, kicking in the Staff Only door and yanking Scott through. She slammed the door shut as the Doctors overpowered the gate's security, locking it behind her as she pressed her back against the surface.

     "This is insane," Scott voiced, heart pounding in his chest. "What about Al and Lydia?"

     "They'll hide," she assured. "They'll keep each other safe."

     Scott nervously ran his hands through his hair. "Do you think they're here for us?"

     "Not this time, I think," said Jacy, breath slowly beginning to regulate.