Chapter 21

{4:12 P.M.}
Alex's (POV)

My eyes glance down, landing on the gas meter. The spindle much too close to empty to consider it wise to continue on much longer.

I let a low irritated groan out, running my left hand down my warm and sweaty face as I come to one conclusion.

We're going to have to stop.

So far we've only needed to stop once during this six hour long car ride. Dare's bladder apparently growing too full for her to hold it much longer.

Besides that small detour, I thought we'd make it all the way without stopping. The fewer times we stop, the better.

But of course the once full tank of gas is draining to empty just barely twenty miles from Lazy River town.

So close. Yet it feels like I'll never make it back.

I spot a small gas station up the back road we're traveling on, hardly anyone out today. The paved road cracked and worn from age, neglected.

Traveling the sixty or so yards further up, I slow down as we approach the entrance, turning my right signal on despite no one being around.

There's four gas pumps setup at the front of the rundown Exxon store, the white and blue paint in need of a good paint job.

But it's probably the closest one considering the last one we passed was twenty miles ago. I'm not sure seeing as when Mrs. Jones brought me up here almost three months ago we traveled on a different road.

Get in, get out. Quick.

I turn left to pull up next to the gas pump, Dare jerking up from her prone sleeping position against the side of the car with a very 'un-girly' snort.

"Wha-Who? I didn't do it, I swear." She mutters in a hurry as her eyes snap open, her face drawn with sleep as she glances around the car. Hair in a disarray as it stick to her cheeks and forehead.

She nodded off about an hour ago. Mumbling something about how coffee is her soulmate before she was out like a light.

Realizing she's not in trouble like she apparently presumed, her face immediately relaxes into her usual carefree one.

She yawns as I shift the car into park, turning the engine off before cracking my door open.

She stretches her arms up. "Ugh, seriously? We need gas?" She groans out, looking like she'd like nothing more than for this car ride to be over.

That makes two of us.

She unbuckles, looking out to the right as she looks over the building. "But nature's calling. I'll be back shortly." She pops her door open, glancing one more time at me.

I give her a look.

She scowls. "Hey, coffee really gets to me, okay?" She huffs, stepping out. "I bet this is one of those dingy shops where the restrooms are on the outside of the building." She mumbles to herself before slamming the door shut.

I watch her walk towards the building through the passenger side window, not a hint of hesitation in her features.

Moving my left leg out of the car, I plant it on the ground as I lean forward over my lap. Clasping my hands over my head, I force myself to take slow, deep breaths in through my nose and out through my mouth instead of the quick shallow ones my body wants.

My stomach burns like there's liquid fire inside it, sending sharp stabs of pain out with every measured breath I make myself take. There's a throbbing in my head that matches the throbbing on my back where my fresh bump is, all pulsing in beat with my heart like some sick symphony number.