five

Chapter five

Brighter Than The Sun

‘Shining how we want.’

I loved his eyes. In the end, it all came down to his eyes. Easy to understand, happy when times weren’t, he looked like someone who relied on his eyes, most, for expressing himself better. In actuality, I don’t think he knew how easily his eyes said it all, but whoever he came in contact with surely had easy access to his every thought through them. Something about the honey of them, the way they sparkled under the lights as he spoke about something irrelevant, this and that, life and whatnot, I imagined him addressed me just with his eyes. Caressing me with them, simply watching me through those ever observant eyes. Did he know how easily girls lost themselves to them, to eyes that didn’t see?

Something about the way he was looking at me told me this was a dream, but it didn’t stop me from hoping for more. Every moment, every touch, every little thing about the night we’d spent together came back with extreme detail, where everything slowed so I could absorb it without rush, without worrying that the next moment may slip away. If he was speaking, I didn’t know it. This entire setting remained muted and nothing but his smile, and his eyes, spoke to me. I felt my lips tug at the corners of my skin, and while the smile that reflected mine back remained true, it made me wonder if that was exactly how he’d smiled at me. Did he find me interesting, like I had him? Was my very being as besotting?

My legs were tangled, for some reason, in a ribbon of something white and transparent. It was as if he were holding the ends of that ribbon, his lips to my bare skin as our eyes spoke of words we hadn’t dared to dream. Was this what a kiss felt like? Was this how easy it was?

Something woke me, quite suddenly, and if I hadn’t wondered what it was during the dream, I wondered now. Something loud played in the background like in a mindless party. Was one of the girls having a party? Wait, the tune sounded familiar...

Sometime, during the expanse of the three hours I’d been sleeping, my phone snuck its way to my stomach, vibrating and singing the ringtone I’d assigned for calls. Only, it wasn’t just anybody calling me. I knew I would sound my absolute worst right then, seeing as I’d been woken up rudely at three in the morning, but I took the call and whispered anyway, not having the heart to ignore it.

“Hello?”

Why are you whispering?”

I looked around and wondered the same thing. “No reason.” I cleared my throat. “Hi.”

Hi.”

“Hi.”

His chuckle was deeper, for some reason. “Hi, Sama.”

I sank into my bed, trying to recollect what the hell had my heart racing like no one’s business in the middle of the night. “Hi.”

So, it’s your birthday, I hear.”

I laugh. “It is. What’re you doing up so late?”

Nothing, really. Just thought I’d drop by and wish a special someone a happy birthday.”

“Oh. Who?”

You, of course.”

“Rea—what?” I stood from my bed, all traces of sleep lost now. “Where’re you now?”

At your hostel, actually, but I suppose you won’t be able to see me.”

I carefully walk to the window and sure enough, there he is, under the starry sky I’d only admired hours ago. “What’re you doing here?”