Chapter 12

Yetsye awoke as Tsadok roughly shook her arm. A gasp of dismay escaped as she jerked away. But he held on, looking not at her but into the distance. He hissed her to silence and pressed the air with his free hand urging her to be calm. Her eyes widened as she sensed menace emanating from that direction. She'd never felt anything like it – tangible, overwhelming, sapping her strength. The air prickled with the bitter tang of annoyance and hummed with stinging anger. It must be them – the Nechna.

The question wrinkled her brow as she turned to Tsadok. He nodded once in answer. Yuvahl stood nearby, his cranj in hand. His stance revealed his mindset: alert, awake, and ready for a fight. With his feet set wide and center of gravity low, he reminded Yetsye of the armored pixets of the forest whose plated backs shielded them from predators and whose claws and spikes made even the most desperate beast think twice before attacking.

She steadied her mind and rose to sit on her knees. The oppressive atmosphere pushed against her and Yetsye pushed back through the impressive shield in an attempt to learn more about the creatures who wielded it. Clouds sailed above, hiding the moons, until a gusty breeze blew them aside to reveal beasts a little larger than the mana.

The Nechna sported thick, black fur. They walked on six padded hooves as large as serving bowls. Their snouts stretched as long as their shoulders were wide and slitted nostrils flared with the excitement of the hunt and the sense of righteous victory. Deep aqua eyes, void of pupils, gleamed with a sinister light. Their eagerness to sink teeth into the intruders showed clearly in every sibilant move they made. Those movements arrested Yetsye. There was something odd about them but she couldn't pinpoint it.

"Are we prey or simply annoying trespassers?" Out of the pack surrounding them, one Nechna stood out, a bit larger than the others. Yetsye pushed at Tsadok's hand and he reluctantly released her. She rose slowly, keeping her eyes on the larger Netchna, and put herself in his path. She had no doubt this one was male from the size of his body and hooves, to the profuse mane of hair which fluttered lightly around his face and trailed all the way down his spine ending in a lush tuft at the tip of his tail. He also seemed to be speaking to the others with his wide, pointed ears and twitching tail-tip. It seemed a mysterious dance to Yetsye's fascinated eyes. If his size did not denote his status, the single white stripe through the center of his mane was a powerful clue.

They were trespassers. Yetsye was certain now. Such powerful beasts could've killed them easily by now, as Leila warned. She carefully stepped closer to the leader after sending a reassuring nod back to her companions. Yuvahl looked on in apparent horror, unable to move away from Ya'el who was still too weak to fight. Leila knelt by Ya'el, her face hidden in her hands while she wept quietly.

With each step, Yetsye grew more confident. She reached up and pulled the ties from her hair allowing her own mane of curls to fall around her face, bouncing in the night breeze. She tossed her head and spread wide her arms. She couldn't allow the Netchna to see any weakness. Cowardly behavior would result in death. Yetsye stepped closer – close enough to smell the foul breath Leila spoke of. When she got as close as she dared, she froze, closed her eyes and awaited judgment.

The night was very bright now that all Y'Dahnndrya's moons smiled happily upon them, oblivious to the drama far below. Yetsye stood still as stone for what seemed like forever.

"Merrrto of the Plains, I am called." He spoke his name to her mind -- a velvety soft bass, slightly muffled.

She staggered in surprise. When she recovered she replied, uncertain whether he'd be able to hear her. "I am Yetsye Shirasdatir. It is an honor to meet you, Merrrto of the Plains. Have we wronged your people?"