Epilogue

Yetsye sat by the brazier and stared at the travel pack sitting in the corner of the orth. Zev outfitted them with all they would need for many nights in the dry lands of western D'Koruyin Territory. Tsadok stepped out to scout the area and forage for anything useful.

When Matir added a surprise to the packs, Yetsye usually noticed. Tsadok had held onto it and surprised her with it today. And what a surprise! It left a bitter taste in Yetsye's mouth. Knowing Ya'el was alive but they would likely never see her again had been a fact she didn't want to face. Not now. Not ever.

"You are such a myeta, Yetsye! When will you burn fierce and bright?"  Yetsye jumped and looked around the orth. No one was there but she heard the words as if Ya'el sat next to her.

"A challenge, then?"her voice cracked. "One last challenge from my siveh?"

She rose slowly, her eyes never leaving the travel pack. And step by hesitant step she walked, as if the pack tugged her. She stopped in front of it and slowly sank to her knees. With trembling hands she reached for the lacing, barely able to loosen the knots. The flap swung free and Yetsye released the breath she didn't realize she was holding. Her hands were shaking so badly when she reached for the mouth of the pack, she wasn't sure she'd be able to hold onto any of the things inside. She grabbed the opening with one hand and plunged the other inside.

The first thing her fingers touched was a bit of stiff cloth. She drew it out slowly to find it was an old painting of the setting of the suns. Ya'el's sign was sketched in the lower left corner. Yetsye ran shaky fingers over the dried colors, feeling the roughness brush against her fingertips. When the colors began to blur, she folded up the painting and set it aside.

This time when she reached in, her hands closed over something smooth and solid. She paused and looked upward. She'd held this before. Her hands hadn't forgotten the feel of the papukh Ya'el always carried with her. She drew it out quickly and held it close until the sobs calmed and she could see well enough to untie the leather cord and open it. A folded page fell out and Yetsye read her name written in Ya'el's familiar hand. She set it aside. She wasn't ready yet. But the pages of the papukh called to her.

As she turned them, she saw the bush'ka with the thorny branch tangled in its fur and a golden light near its head. She looked closer and realized the light had a face and two tongues of curling flame topping it. There was the vague impression of arms soothing the bush'ka and Yetyse realized it was a picture of her. At the bush'ka's side, Yuvahl worked. Every line of his form spoke loudly of his dedication and purpose. Though she couldn't see his face, there was no doubt this was her batir. Ya'el was more expert with shape and line than Yetsye ever imagined.

Turning a few pages more, she saw a portrait. Ya'el captured Tsadok's feelings so clearly and Yetsye almost sobbed again at the hurt deepening every line of his beloved face, shadowing his eyes. It was their first meeting. She couldn't even raise her face to him and it hurt him. In the background, her siblings looked on with hope and wonder. How did Ya'el convey so much emotion in simple lines and shapes?

A few more pages took her to their meeting with the whe'evet and Kven's band. Once again golden light surrounded her form, though this time her hair was a mass of flames. There was a gentleness in the arms reaching out to the whe'evet which puzzled Yetsye. Was she capable of such beautiful compassion? Tears filled her eyes again and she closed the papukh until she could control them. Her beautiful siveh saw her as beautiful, too, and it overwhelmed and amazed her.

The sudden warmth spreading over her back startled her but she leaned into Tsadok's embrace.

"What is it, My Yetsye? What have you found?"

In reply, Yetsye reopened the papukh and turned the page to reveal the most dear portrait of her cradled in Tsadok's arms on the ride to Chefvna. Love was a tangible shield surrounding them with its glory.

"She knew of my love for you before I did." Yetsye's voice wobbled but she continued. "In every picture of me, there's a beautiful image I could never see no matter how long I stared at my reflection. Even my true spirit reflection in Edrea's life-blood didn't show this picture of me." She closed the papukh and set it reverently back in the pack, then turned fully into Tsadok's arms to finally release the grief which had piled up since leaving Ya'el behind at Yacan.

After a long while, Tsadok spoke, "What is this?"

She pushed away to see the folded page in his hand. "I don't know. I saved it. I wasn't ready."

"And now?" he asked as he held it out to her.

She nodded and with shaking hands unfolded the letter.

Little Siveh, Yetsye, this papukh is for you.

I documented it all.

The journey from home to the bushes where you found Tsadok.

Your work to relieve the raging bush'ka and save the confused one.

The glowing apparition that was once only my Siveh but now has a higher purpose.

The confused Little Siveh who didn't want to recognize the deep love which grew for a forbidden life-mate.

The excitement of your face at each small victory.

The love and care you show for all those around you, whether they realize it or not.

I'm sorry my last words to you were harsh.

I have my own calling. My own purpose.

I regret that I can't tell you goodbye now.

This will have to do.

If I never see you again, know that I love you as much now as I ever did.

And know that I will lift your name up to the Creator in prayer every day, as I do for all our family.

I'm sorry I had to hide my silver from you.

I am Edrea. And Edrea is me. Or that is what I believe will happen now.

I was forbidden to tell anyone before coming here.

You must never tell a soul that you know.

I will serve where my Creator has sent me.

Take care that you serve the Creator well where you are sent.

And take care of the brave warrior who sacrificed everything for you.

My love to you both.

Ya'el Shirasdatir

Guardian (to be) of Yacan