Positivity

How do you seduce a man? I've got no clue. Aaron doesn't like me. We don't talk. He's Emma's friend. I have literally no chance.

Fuck my life.

It's a long day. We're out in the field for photography and taking pictures with a tripod is significantly easier than head-balancing. It's a cold day so everyone looks a bit pissed off all wrapped in coats.

Then it's History. They don't do cool history anymore. It's all from the last century. I was hoping for some medieval obscure facts but nope. Just "what are the factors that led up to the First World War?"

Yawn. At one point I'm staring at my pencil case, open and scattering pens onto the desk in front of me. I raise my hand and try to remember how I opened that locked door a lifetime ago.

Move.

Nothing happens. It's like I'm shouting into an echoing abyss. No powers for me.

The thing in my head chuckles.

After the thoroughly uninspiring lesson, I head to lunch. After lunch is a free period where I have a chance to escape.

I don't. I head to the library, pull out my History work, and plot the Great Seduction of my Sister's Best Friend.

We don't share any classes. He does Art, Music and English. I don't know enough about him to know if we share interests. He carries a guitar case sometimes. Maybe we share that.

Yes. We'll start a band together and then I'll do him. Excellent plan.

Not.

I guess I just have to convince Emma to invite him over one day. Then I'll make my move and Bob's your uncle.

A sudden cacophony of voices hits me like a shovel to the head. I look up to see a group of the "popular" kids are messing around and have caught the attention of the tired-looking librarian. One of them, a tall, athletic, square-jawed boy called Bradley, has a textbook open over his head like a bonnet. He's looking up at the librarian standing over him with the kind of fake smile where you know the second she turns away he's going to laugh at her.

We don't run in the same circles, Brad and I. He thinks I'm weird, and I think he's an arrogant moronic douche-bag. Honestly, I bet he barely even considers me part of his radar. We share Psychology. That's it.

But I file his name away for later.

After the break, it's another Psychology lesson. I  head into that closely followed by Bradley and his raucous group of friends.

Soon it's time to go home. On the bus back, Emma is still laughing and joking with her friends. I sit next to Sophie, both of us in dead silence, and wallow in how tired I am.

After a second I sink into my seat and use her shoulder as a pillow. She grumbles and tries to shove me off. 'You're so annoying.'

'You're annoying,' I shoot back, closing my eyes and snuggling closer. She huffs, her breath tickling through the roots of my hair, and wriggles away from me.

The thing in my head pokes and prods, but I fight her down. I need some bloody sleep.

Next thing I know Sophie is elbowing me awake and we're getting off the bus. I drag my feet all the way back to the house.

Emma is the first through the door. Mum is still at work so we have it all to ourselves.

What to do? Watch a film? Play a game? Do some homework?

Stagger up the stairs and fall into bed. 

Excellent. I close my eyes and let sleep overcome me.