Chapter Twenty-Five: Training Ground Six

Magsimula sa umpisa

“I have told you countless times, come to me if you need money,” he said. He sighed as he flicked his indicators on and turned down the road that headed into town.

“Where are we going?”

“Town, I’m going to get you something to eat,” he said.

“I wish I could live with you and Sammy.” I said sadly. “Why can I never do anything right? Why do I fuck everything up? I should never have flipped like that. I almost beat you to death. Remind me again why you’re so nice to me, after what I did to you?”

“Because Tammy, I took the time, even after that to find out why you’re like you are. To find out why you hate people. To find out why you are in gangs. To find out why you were in care. I took the time to get to know you. What you’ve been through in your short life is more that some 90 year old men, Tam. I know you just need someone to help you, love you.” he said.

“I’m still stupid, if I never laid a finger on you, you could foster me.” I said, looking down at my lap.

“Everything happens for a reason, Tam. You just have to find out what the reason is.” he said. The lights we stopped at turned green and we headed across the many crossroads.

The thing was when I looked out my window I saw a car speeding this way. Fast, too fast. It was heading right at us.

“TEDDY,” I screamed, spotting one coming at us from his side as well. He stepped on it but the blue Volvo rammed into the passenger door, crushing my leg between the door and the seat. I looked at the driver of the car to see my Dad, real dad, smirking at me. The other car clipped the back end of the driver’s side, spinning us into oncoming traffic.

Another car crashed into the car, sending it spinning across a few lanes of traffic. Cars clipping us here and there. My window shattered; glass covered me. My head hit the dashboard as the front of the car hit a lamppost and the car stopped. I sat up and looked ‘round.

It was chaos.

I looked to Teddy he was looking out his window, I think.

“Teddy?” I asked softly but when I got no answer I got worried. “TEDDY?” I screamed as I got my belt unbuckled. That was a big mistake. A car slammed into my side of the car again and sent us flipping over and over. I was thrown round the car. Smacking into anything and everything as I was thrown from left to right.

I won’t lie; I was scared, but mostly I was worried about Teddy. When the car finally came to a stop, I was on the roof, breathing heavy and in pain all over. The smell of fire and petrel caught my nose as well as blood.

The car was on fire, the petrel leaking, Teddy was knocked out, maybe even dead and there was blood everywhere. I needed to do something. I had to do something. I pushed myself onto my hands and knees. Glass and other debris cut into my skin.

I made my way as close to Teddy as I could. I pressed my fingers to his neck, tears falling from my eyes. He was breathing, thank fuck.

I began to have a battle with his belt, trying to get him out the seat. The heat from the flames began to pass through the car and it was getting hot in here. I tugged on it harder. My heart pounded at a rapid speed. Thumping into my chest like it was a punch bag.

That’s when it came to me. Teddy has a switch blade in his glove compartment. I’ll cut him out. I managed to kick at it and the door flopped open. The knife fell onto my foot. I used my foot best I could to kick it this way a bit. I got it to where my knees was resting. I reached over and snatched it up.

The sound of people screaming, crying and talking outside was muffled to me. The sound of the sirens were like a whisper in the back of my mind. I started the saw away at the belt. The knife didn’t cut very fast, but it was going through. Minutes that felt like hours later and I was halfway through when someone from outside the car drew my attention slightly. I never stopped cutting at the belt.