Chapter 20: Strut Like You Own the Stage

Start from the beginning

"Yes that was Bree- Eleanor's bed and yes I am a doctor." Josiah said, putting some bread into his toaster.

"Nice." Adam said, walking back to the room. He buried his head into the pillows and went back to sleep.

It was around nine p.m when Josiah walked back in. He was exhausted after a long day of telling people they weren't sick and that medicine wouldn't help. He quickly changed and when he had gone back, there was a note on his fridge.

Thanks for the room. I hope we can call ourselves friends now that you aren't going to be taking my wife from me. That's a joke- btw. Someone will come by later with some food for your fridge: it seemed a little empty and I wanted to help a friend out. Also there's a few hundreds by the toaster. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

-Adam Carnegie

The handwriting was nowhere near elegant, but Josiah felt relieved nonetheless. It's much better to befriend or be neutral with the Carnegie's than to have them as enemies. Except it was Hank Carnegie who had created that reputation and Adam was actually a good guy. Josiah headed to the toaster.

➿➿➿

"Max, take me to Demeter Modeling Co." Adam said as soon as he landed in New Jersey. He had gotten bored around six p.m so he turned the TV on and the rerun of the catwalk from yesterday was on. There he had seen her face and it being confirmed that Eleanor was alive and thriving, he wanted to see for himself.

"You know Mr. Carnegie," Max began, "is there a use in searching for someone who doesn't want to be found?"

"What?" Adam met eyes with Max through the rear view mirror.

"You know she was here right? The redhead named Elena. I'm almost a thousand percent sure that was her," Max began, "and I'm also sure that she doesn't want to be found."

"Do you have anyway to contact her Max?"

"No and nor would I want to. She will come around when she's ready. If she truly loved you, she will come back and reveal herself. But I think that her redhead wig was a perfect excuse to see you again." Max announced.

"I don't understand Max."

"Sir, if I may,"

"You already have, but continue."

Max chuckled, "Yes, I believe I have. You're neglecting your work and your fiancé in search of a girl that no longer wants to be a part of your life. I know about the blackmail that happened at the start of your marriage and I also know you two grew to love each other. But feelings can change I suppose," Max contemplated.

"Are you trying to tell me not to pay her a visit at Demeter Modeling Co.?"

"Yes, Mr. Carnegie, that's exactly what I'm saying." Adam nodded. Now that he knew Eleanor was alive, maybe it was best to part ways. Maybe it was best to let her go and move on and get his life back on track. She was worth the hurt but now that he knew she was actually alive, he could stop going to the street each night to search for her. He could focus on Magdalene.

"Should I go back to the home Mr. Carnegie?" Max's voice interrupted his thoughts as Adam finally made up his mind.

"No, Max, you work for me. I want to see her one last time. I want closure and that's about all the things I can stomach right now." Adam said.

With a slight nod, Max drove to the company mansion. Clearly he didn't want to- but Adam was right- Max worked for him and not the other way around.

"Might I suggest a disguise? They're always infested with paparazzi and if you'd watch the runway show you'd know the commentary about this Eleanor Undead is true."

Adam raised an eyebrow. "No, I'll be fine."

➿➿➿

Magdalene gaped at her television screen. She was watching the weather channel when her mother barged into the luxurious living room screaming to turn to channel 38. Magdalene immediately listened as her chic mother sat on the sofa beside her. The seat sunk like a beanbag chair and they stared at the giant black screen while a commercial played.

"What am I supposed to be looking at?" Magdalene asked, looking from her mother to the TV and back again. Her green eyed mother raised an eyebrow and stared at her.

"Just watch, it's the Demeter Runway show from last night. There's someone on there that I think you want to see. We can work with this girl, manipulate her and since Adam has been neglecting you lately- we can get her to work her magic and then break that boys heart. Just you wait- he will come running to you." Magdalene's mother had her heart in the right place, but her mind was cruel.

"What?! I don't want to hurt Adam! And I don't want to have him with another girl! Mom if he loves me he will come to me of his own accord."

"Whoop de doo. And what? If he doesn't love you then the whole world will find out we're in debt. Listen I don't care about your love Maggie. I need you to marry that boy at any cost. Do you understand me?" Her mother hissed as she grabbed Magdalene's jaw and turned her face to the television.

On the screen walked a tall thin blonde with what appeared to be either Shirley-Temple or Marilyn Monroe hair- at least a mix of the two. Her eyes were a stunning blue and her hair a beautiful blonde. And then it struck her.

"Is that Eleanor Carnegie??? I thought she died!" Magdalene screeched, angry that Adam's wife was strutting on screen.

"Funny isn't it, she looks a lot like her. Luckily for you, this girl is named Ally Lawson or something like that. She just started at Demeter and she bears a striking resemblance to Eleanor Carnegie, so much so that they're calling her Eleanor Undead. That's wild huh sweetie?"

Magdalene was dumbfounded as she watched the woman on screen walk and wink at the camera. There was no denying that she was absolutely gorgeous and a major competition for her.

"We need to meet this girl- I need her to do my bidding."

"Ah- there's my good girl. But we need an incentive, we need to either bribe her or threaten her. We just need to find a bit more about this Ally Lawson before we approach her- and hopefully Adam approaches her as well."

"Mom, I don't want him to cheat on me."

"Magdalene! You're an idiot! Nobody marries for love these days- at least none with this much wealth. We need to find this Ally chic and get her to go after Adam. She will be a puppet on strings now that she's made her debut. Do you understand me? We need the money- let Adam be a man and when the time is right, snatch him when he is weak!" Magdalene's face hardened.

"Yes, mother."

———————
Want a chapter dedicated to you on Eleanor's Demise?

Simply follow @veronicasoli
And make yourself noticed by commenting, voting, messaging, and being the amazing person you are!