Kayden was preoccupied with her food. Mona and Karen had finished and were both just sitting at the table, zoned off into their own little worlds. Anthony was stuffing his face and my mother was slowly eating. As I watched her, I could tell something was up. She seemed to glance around the table nervously. I wondered if it had anything to do with the phone call.

* * * * *

 I had just settled Kayden down on the guest bed when my sister came through the door. She placed a blanket she had fetched from the hallway closet over my daughter, tucking the corners underneath her body, slowly as to make sure she didn’t wake her. I smiled at my daughter, though she couldn’t see me, and placed a kiss on her forehead. My sister did the same before we retreated from the room and into the hallway. Mona pulled the door shut and looked at me.

 I could see a glint of something in her eyes. She looked relieved and almost happy that I had come to visit. Needless to say, it was only twice in four months, but I guess it’s better than once in two years.

 “Thank you for coming, Isbell. I know that we don’t get along very well, but it means a lot to mom,” she whispered. I smiled at my sister,

 “It means a lot to Kayden,” I replied. I didn’t want to say that was the only reason I came over because Mona was actually being nice to me for a change. I decided leaving it at that would keep whatever fire that was blazing inside contained. Mona looked at me and pulled me into a hug, catching me off guard. I hesitantly wrapped my arms around her not knowing how to react.

 “I’m so sorry, Isbell,” Mona whimpered. I wouldn’t have known she was crying if I hadn’t felt a tear roll onto my neck from her cheek. I glanced down and pulled her face away, looking into her eyes. I could see apologies displayed within them. I felt my heart sink at them before I pulled her into a hug myself. Doing so lifted whatever weight I had on my shoulders off.

 “I’m sorry too,” I whispered, letting the tears roll down my cheek. In that moment, I knew we were fine.

* * * * *

 “Come on, bug. Eat your food,” I said desperately. We were sitting in the kitchen, waiting for Kayden’s bus to arrive, as I frantically tried to force food into her stomach. From past experiences, if Kayden wasn’t fed, she’d get sick and be sent home. Lord knows I didn’t need that today.

 I had a job interview that make or break me. It was the only place that would allow someone like me with the backgrounds that I had. I was due in the manager’s office in twenty minutes. The bus arrived in five and I had fifteen to get there. It takes ten minutes without the traffic, that also made me hysterical.

 “No,” she stated. I could see the stubbornness displayed on her face. I sighed, looking into the deep, blue eyes and gave her a look that I meant business.