21. Take Me To Church

Start from the beginning

"Can you even hear me?" 

My scream torn over the stone floors, filling in the holes and creaks. 

"I know I am worthless, but you can at least hear me out," I said, my lip trembling in sync with my hands. "That's the only thing I ask." 

Tears. They glassed my eyes, transforming my sight into what looked like rain on windows. Why was I even crying? I had no idea, my emotions were a bit messy, confusing myself. 

As I sat there, minute by minute, I kept imagining how my life could have turned out to be. What if I had reported my dad? What if my brother suddenly came back home and rescued me? 

This loneliness I sat in brought peace to my mind, making the nature around me speak instead. Though it had been like this the last five years, didn't mean I got tired of it. When I was alone, I could be anything I wanted to be. I could even create my own reality for a moment. Here, in this empty church, I could be free. Free from my father, free from Anthony, free from everything. 

It was nice. 

I observed the scene, taking in all the small details of the church, so I could write a scene about it after school tomorrow. 

Winter would soon be storming over us, the repeating rain had shown me that. Winter also meant me turning 19. I had almost forgotten. 

I let out a heavy sigh as my head fell deeper and deeper down in my hands. The sweet melody of the wind kept me sane for the rest of the time I sat alone in that church. As I stood up and strolled out of the church, I stopped to look at the roses. 

One petal had separated from the flower and laid right beside its rightful place on the long green stem. They belonged in a fancy vase or in a big and beautiful garden, where they could be the red eyes staring ahead of time. 

I moved out of the church and walked the same way out. When I came to the road, a black car drove past me, its light roamed past me for a brief moment. I stared at it until it turned a corner and disappeared together with its soothing light. 

I glanced up at the dark sky. Only a single star had peeked out from the storm of clouds. Its light shined brighter than the covered moon. I tilted my head. As the cloud slowly covered the last star shining, a single raindrop tickled my nose, running down towards my chin. 

Then the rain came.

The pitter-patter of the rain laid as a shield around me, reminding me that I should be home and not stand out here in the cold rain. I pulled my dark red hood over my head and tucked my hands in my pockets. The asphalt got covered in even more puddles of silver rain. When I walked past them, my reflection would blurrily stare back at me. 

Rain paled my skin at its simple touch and froze my body. It soaked my hair, clothing, and eyelashes, there heavily hung over my eyes. The drops felt chaotic and crazy, they fell harder than ever and only more came and joined forces with the already fighting. 

My foot slipped in a puddle. The world went by in a fast blur as the ground came closer and my mind registered the pain there soon would make an impact on my body. It went fast, but still slow, as I watched everything besides me. 

Then impact. 

I groaned, my hands trying to help me sitting. 

I smelled the blood before I collected strength to touch it. Blood sipped from my skin where there only moments ago had been a layer of smooth skin. I didn't move, afraid of hearing my bones creak. My jeans had ripped a bigger hole at the knee and even blood dripped out from the small cut there had been torn there. 

I bent my leg, however, it only sent me right back to the ground, laying with my face tucked back in a grimace. My hand twirled around my painful knee. The blood slowly creasing my fingers. 

Scarlet blood dripped down my face, I could feel its route. I must have hit my head too. The rain washed the blood together with the unfolding tears away, letting it run down the street, as water ran down the drain. 

Collect yourself, Nina. 

I took in a deep breath and moved my fingers to tighten around the streetlamp by my side. I pulled with all my might and slowly, my left leg helped me to stand up. 

My right leg burned every time I would try to lay a bit weight on it or even try to walk away from the streetlamp. Slowly, I jumped on my left leg, strolling down the street and towards my house. 

I bet it's broken. 

A cry escaped my lips as I sat my right leg down on the street. "This is just perfect." 

The light from the car hit me before I could see it. It was the same black one, this time it slowly drove past me, with a window rolled down. "Nina?"

You got to be kidding me. 

Anthony peeked his head out, looking up and down at my condition. "Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine," I mumbled, my eyes squeezing in pain. 

"You don't look fine. You actually look like some truck has driven you over." 

I sighed, walking as fast as possible. "What don't you get by I'm done with you?" I asked, looking in his direction. 

He smirked, "like you want to stay away from me." 

As I took another step, my leg burned up through my body, sending me to the ground in a flash. "Shit," I whispered under my breath. 

A car door opened and soon Anthony stood towering over me. "Are you sure you are fine?" His eyebrow lifted as his hands swayed down in his pockets. 

"I'm sure." As my hand pushed me up, I fell forward, the world going by in a blur again. I closed my eyes, waiting for the impact. Instead, my body was greeted with Anthony's warmth.

"I'm only going to ask you one more time, are you okay?"

I sighed, "no, I think my leg is broken."

"Huh," he said and on a delicate moment, he scooped me into his warm arms, pressing me into his hard chest. "Then I'll drive you to the hospital, my princess."

I wanted to punch him or ask him to let me go, but I didn't. I sighed deeply, letting my body relax. "Okay."

...

Okay, I just want to take a moment to thank you all for 7K, which is amazing.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and have a pretty awsome day!

Question - Where are you from? I'm from Denmark.