six

"We dated for a really long time and I thought that she was... ya know... the one. It turns out that she thought differently. She got pregnant with some other guy and then her parents sent her to live with her grandmother in Florida. I wrote to her and she returned each letter, unopened! I haven't dated anyone since her, until you." he explained, his voice barely above a whisper.

"If this Sandy-chick ever comes back to Tulsa, I swear, I will kick her ass."

"You know what, don't. If it weren't for her leaving, I would have never met you and you are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

"Ditto Mr. Curtis, ditto."

***

I woke up to Steve's voice, urging Soda to get up for work. I slowly opened my eyes and stretched my legs out as Soda got up. I figured I should get up to so I forced myself up and made the bed. After getting dressed and cleaned up, I went to the kitchen to get food and I saw Soda running around like a lunatic. I cocked an eyebrow at him and giggled to myself at how cute he was. He ran over to me and put his hand on the back of my neck, pulling me in for a kiss.

"See ya later babe."

"Soda, your shoes," I pointed out. He sighed and ran back to his room. As I was making toast, I heard the screen door slam and a car engine start, signaling that the boys were off to work.

***

After eating, I threw on the first pair of shoes I found and began for the DX.

When I arrived, Soda was in the garage with Steve, horsing around.

"Hey guys," I said. Both turned around and Soda smiled, coming over to give me a hug.

"Hey, you wanna earn some cash and work here for the day? I'm sure my boss won't mind." I shrugged and Soda showed me to the register. He taught me how to work itg and where everything was.

"If you're going to work here, you might as well wear a shirt," Soda said, throwing me a shirt.

"We're cute," I giggled and he grinned in return, pecking my cheek.

"Soda, c'mere and help with this!" Steve hollered.

"Coming!" Soda yelled back. He winked at me and went into the garage.

There was a steady stream of customers all day. At least half of them were Greaser girls, trying to flirt with Soda. When 6:00 rolled around, Soda and Steve came out, greasy to the max. I threw them both a towel and then I helped close up shop so that we could leave. Soda and I got in the car and drove home in silence, just enjoying each other's company. Ponyboy was on the porch smoking a cigarette when we got to the house.

"Ya know Pony, smoking isn't good for you," I told him as I walked up the stairs. He just shrugged and stomped out the cigarette. When we got inside, Darry was making a cake and Steve kept eating the batter. Two-Bit was drinking beer (big surprise) and Dally was just lying on the couch.

"Hey y'all," I said as I moved Dally's feet so that I could sit on the couch. Two-Bit muttered a 'hello' and Pony came back in.

"Where's Johnnycake?" I asked.

"Met a girl at school, at the park with her or somethin'," Dally answered.

"Hey, can someone go pick up milk from the corner store? We're all out," Darry asked from the kitchen.

"Sure, I'll go," I offered.

"I'll come with," Dally said.

"No Dal, I'll go," Soda responded.