three

Now I was worried. He said that he'd be right behind me. Soda should definitely be here by now, I thought as I started walking back from where I had come.

"Soda?" I called out in a hushed voice. "Soda?" I repeated, this time a little louder. All of a sudden I saw a body break through the brush and come running towards me. I jumped back at first, scared that it was one of the Socs. But relief coursed through my veins when I realized that it was only Soda. To both our surprises I threw my arms around Soda's neck when he got near. "I thought t-they k-killed you or something," I stuttered. Soda's shock wore off and I felt his hands on my back.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm fine," he said soothingly. I felt the tears welling in my eyes and pulled back.

"Look I'm sorry about that I didn't mean to, I just-"

"Stella, are you okay?" I then realized that a few tears had escaped and run down my cheeks so I quickly wiped them away and sniffled.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine. Um, we should get going," I replied shakily as I turned towards the street. Soda caught up to me and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Are you sure that you're okay?" I stopped walking and looked at him

"I just have a lot going through my head, that's all." The street lamps had burned out therefore I couldn't read his facial expression. So, I continued walking.

<><><>

It was quite late when we finally arrived at my house. Once we got into the light, I noticed that Soda was beginning to form a black eye.

"Oh my gosh, Soda did they hit you?" I gasped, looking at his bruised eye.

"Just a little," he replied, looking at his feet.

"Here, come inside. Let me get ice for you," I said, motioning to the walkway.

"No, it's okay. I don't want to burden you or your parents."

"C'mon, after everything you've done for me so far? It's nothing. Please," I whined, pulling him towards the door.

"If you insist," he laughed. I opened the door and led him in. I sat him on the couch and went to get an icepack from the kitchen.

"Stella, is that you? What happened? Why didn't you call?" my mom asked from the top of the stairs.

"Long story that I'll tell you later," I responded. Soda stood up and smiled. "Hello Mrs. Banks." My mom smiled and came downstairs.

"Mom, this is Sodapop Curtis. Soda, this is my mom," I said gesturing to both as I spoke.

"Nice to meet you, Sodapop," she smiled.

"I'll be right back," I said as I left for the kitchen.

<><><>

When I returned, Soda and my mother were in conversation about who knows what. I sat down next to Soda on the couch and handed him the ice pack. He thanked me and put it over his eye before turning back to my mom.

"I have to go get ready for work in the morning, but it was very nice meeting you Sodapop," my mom smiled as she stood up. She looked at me and winked, holding her thumbs up in the air, as to say I approve! I rolled my eyes but felt my cheeks heat up because Soda had clearly seen. And based off the smirk that danced across his face, I knew that he understood what my mom had indirectly stated.

"Bye Mom," I said as I pushed her up the stairs. She put her hands up in defense and disappeared into the hallway. I leaned against the banister with my hands behind my back and Soda and I exchanged a glance.