fourteen

I spent all night trying to figure out what I was going to do to Kamryn. I locked myself in my room with a notebook and a pencil and stared at the paper until I fell asleep on it. Morning came and I still had no idea what to do. Hopefully Two-Bit would have some ideas. I hadn't seen him yesterday, but I did go home after the incident with the Monster Couple. My dreams brought me no ideas what so ever so in the morning I was as clueless as the day before. While I was sleeping I guess I moved and I fell right off my desk chair. What a great way to start the day: a bruise and a bad headache. Obviously, I was not about to get all prettied up so I just slipped on denim shorts and a bright blue Superman sweatshirt with matching bright blue Vans. I put my straightened-from-the-day-before hair up into a high, loose ponytail and walked out of my room. My dad was in the kitchen making pancakes.

"Hey Star. Pancake?" My dad had always called me Star; it was what my name meant. I held up a plate and my dad threw two pancakes on it. I sat down and began to eat them in silence.

"What's got you in such a bad mood?" he asked.

"It's just that I-uh- fell asleep and my desk last night and when I woke up, I fell onto the floor. I have a headache, that's all." My dad eyed me suspiciously, knowing that there was something more but he didn't push me to tell him. My pancakes were soon gone and I grabbed my backpack and was out the door. I trudged towards school and was soon regretting wearing a sweatshirt. It was already 70 degrees and I was sweating. Someone or something tugged on my backpack and I froze. Why can't people just leave me alone for once? I rolled my eyes and turned around to see my favorite person in the entire world. A huge smile made its way onto my face. Soda grinned back. I grabbed his hand and laced our fingers together, pulling him along towards school.

"So I'm guessing you don't care if people see us together? Which, we're not technically 'dating' yet, you do realize that, don't you?" Soda said as he walked faster to keep my pace.

"Nope not at all. I'm proud of you and I want the whole world to know it. And I have a great idea that I will tell you after school, okay?" Soda jutted out his lower lip.

"Can't you tell me now?" I shook my head and his shoulders slumped. I stopped walking and cupped his face in my hands, kissing him.

"Better?"

"Not quite." I sighed and kissed him again. I cocked an eyebrow as to say, 'Now?'

"It'll have to do, I guess." I giggled and continued walking towards school. We got there and Soda kissed me this time.

"Have a fabulous day, darling," Soda said dramatically. I rolled my eyes and walked inside.

***

While I was putting my books into my locker at the end of the day, Colin walked over and leaned against the lockers, right next to me.

"What's shakin' Stel?" he asked casually.

"Nothing of your concern."

"Oh come on, don't be like that. Everyone knows that you'd rather be with me than that greaser at the gas station. I dumped Kamryn so we can get back together." I dropped my backpack on the floor. Was he serious? Then I started laughing.

"Do you really think you have the audacity to a) thrust your tongue down a girl's throat, b) start dating her, then c) insult my boyfriend and d) try to get back with me? Nice try hotshot, but I get your games. You can play them on every other girl in this school except me because I only have eyes for the one and only Soda Curtis. Thanks and have a terrible day. Toodles!" I closed my locker, swung my backpack on my shoulder, and walked past him, making sure that I bumped his shoulder to piss him off even more. I sashayed out of the school and down the street towards the DX, where I'd promised Soda I'd meet him. I was walking down the street, and the further I walked, the hotter I became. It was like 85 degrees and idiot Stella says, 'Oh, let me wear a sweatshirt!' Yeah, definitely now the proudest moment of my life. I was basically crawling to the DX. When I got there I was praying that it was air conditioned. My shoulder pushed against the door and I fell into the store, immediately greeted by a blast of cold air. I dropped my backpack and sighed in relief. Soda came out of the break room wiping his hands on a towel.