Chapter Fourteen: Unmaking

I woke up to a deep burning ache that rolled through my entire body. The only sound I was able to make was a pained whimper as I tried to move only to have the burning turn into a ferocious searing. I felt like I had been hit by a fucking freight train travelling at two hundred miles an hour. I inhaled sharply, scolding myself heavily. I knew I was going to feel it in the morning and I had to buck up and be a big girl about it.

My breath came in slight pants as I rolled over, putting my feet over the edge of the bed, attempting to get up. A heavy growl was all the warning I had before I was scooped up and deposited back on the bed gently. "Stay." Ren's voice was a low rumble before he turned away, muttering something about me being stubborn as he grabbed a glass of water from my beside table. He looked haggard and tired and I couldn't help how my mouth twitched upwards at his appearance.

"You not sleep any, puppy dog?" I needed something to help me forget the pain I was in and teasing Ren seemed to be the perfect solution. He ignored the question as he gently cupped the back of my head, lifting it up slightly and pressing the cup to my lips. I drank rather greedily, surprised at just how thirsty I was. He pulled the cup away and slowly lowered my head back down to the pillow. "Looks like you can be domesticated, wolfman." He grunted in response to my words and I winced as I shifted on the bed, my ribs hurt like a son of a bitch.

He set the glass on the bedside table and I looked towards the bedroom door, frowning slightly. "Where's my little Bo-Peep?" I was a little concerned and wanted to see how she fared with the teleportation.

"Napping." His response was short and I shifted on the bed, panting slightly as I attempted to sit up.

Ren shoved my shoulders back down to the bed, a deep rumble exiting his chest as he looked down at me. "Under my care, you stay in bed." He said the words low and I was suddenly aware of the heat of his hands and his strength as he essentially pinned me down.

I stared up at him, tracing his features with my eyes, his strong jaw, his dark eyes, and slightly crooked nose that let me know he was one hell of a bruiser. God he was sexy. I was a little pissed off because I was a little bit too down and out to do anything about it. "Alright. No leaving the bed on your watch." I slowly relaxed into the bed, watching his stern mouth relax a fraction, the one corner twitching upwards as if he were pleased by my sudden docility. Simple male. So easily tricked.

He slowly removed his hands and I let out a playfully heaving sigh, my bottom lip sticking out. I much rather preferred to have his hands on me. "Can you get me some quartz from my chest in the kitchen?" He gave me a rather narrowed eyed look of suspicion before I shifted my head, wincing as I did so as my muscles seemed to protest even the smallest movements. "Its a healing stone and if I am going to take care of the worst of the wounds I'm going to need all the help I can get." At that he gave a slow nod, leaving the room.

I watched him before quickly waving my hand, my magick flaring to life as the door slammed shut behind him. I could hear him give out a snarl of displeasure before the door shuddered as he slammed into it. I ignored it and inhaled deeply. This was going to hurt. I pressed my hand firmly against the side of my rib cage where I knew the bones were broken.

The first surge of magick I sent through my hand snapped a rib into place, causing me to cry out at the intense and harsh pain. I panted as my magick continued its painful burning healing as it mended the break back together. I suffered through it, sweat beading on my forehead as I bit my bottom lip hard to keep from whimpering.

The moment it faded away I clenched my teeth, setting my jaw as I sent another surge down my arm and through my hand. Another rib snapped back into place and I gave another cry, unable to hold it in. My head felt fuzzy and I was faintly aware of a faint booming as Ren tried to break the door down. The Burning was intense and I didn't wait for it to calm down before I sent another surge of magick to the broken bones. I held the surge at its peak, forcing more through my hand and the rest of the broken ribs snapped into place.