Chapter Fifty Seven: Riddles

Start from the beginning

Titania turned her face away, unable to look her in the eye.

"I thought not," Aurora muttered. Her red hair began to move about her, sparking to life. "You claim to love me as one of your own, but when all is said and done that just isn't true, is it?"

"That isn't fair." Titania rushed forward like a crashing wave. She wrapped her arms around the maiden's neck, burying her face into her bright hair. "Please, don't say such things. I love you so dearly."

Aurora stared up at the ceiling. Her hands, which had laid limply in her lap, began to curl into claws. "Do not touch me!" She screamed. Her hair burst into a high flame, writhing and burning white hot. She shoved her adoptive mother away so violently, Titania staggered. "How dare you! How dare you continue to claim you love me! If that were even slightly true, I would not be picking out my wedding dress!" She roared with rage. The true magnitude of her power burned like an angry sun.

Titania hung her head. "I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." Titania repeated softly. Tears slid down her cheeks and splashed against the marble tiles at her feet.

Rising with a tired sigh, Aurora drifted out onto the small outcropping beyond the pillars. She gazed out at the Summer Branches where the Hollow's leaves were deep green and thriving with growth. "I know that you care for me. That I do not doubt." The wind picked up the thin fabric of her violet dress, making it dance and cling to her all the more. Against the vibrant backdrop, she beamed with fiery light, her anger fueling the flames of her power. "However, the way you feel for me is not the same as with Daphne. She is your blood. I am and always will be a mistress' daughter. Had it been her in my place, Kieran would be dead by now. But me, me, you'll let that savage beat and rape to please a man that has never shown you the slightest bit of concern."

Titania stared at Aurora's back in awe as if she too had never imagined the younger woman could possess such power. Several minutes passed with neither woman speaking. Aurora watched the branches, her whole being eaten up by anger and hurt. Titania kept to the shadowed area on the other side of the pillars as if by touching the light pouring off Aurora, she might somehow diminish it like a cloud passing over the sun.

"Get out." Aurora's command was deafening in the silent room. Titania blinked at her, disbelieving what she'd heard. Aurora turned her head towards her. Her hair dimmed, but her form remained outlined in golden light. Her face was placid. It showed not even a shred of emotion, but her shoulders shook ever so slightly as her resolve began to waver. "Get out," She repeated. "I'll choose my wedding dress on my own."

"As you wish." Stiffly, Titania walked back towards the door. As her hand reached the latch, Aurora called out to her once more.

And her words seemed to strike her like a sword.

"Once I'm married, I never want to see your face again."

My vision blurred to clouds of gray and blotches of black. "Interesting, isn't she?" Athane cooed at my ear. Her hand clasped my shoulder, her touch cool and unnerving. I did not like having her so close.

"That surprised me. I knew she had a temper, but she's always seemed like a very minor faerie. I didn't think her magic was so strong."

"Oh, that one has boundless potential. She is far more than she seems. She is more than even she believes."

"This was interesting, but how is this supposed to help me?"

She didn't answer. Instead, she recited the next riddle. "When young, I am sweet in the sun. When middle-aged, I make you gay, but when I am old I am valued more than ever."

The riddle rattled around in my head. Unlike the first, I struggled for the answer. What increased in value as it aged? Most everything deteriorates as it grows old. Food rots. Houses crumble. People whither away into husks of their former selves. Wait. No. Some foods tasted better after being left to rot in the right way. Fermentation. My first thought was cheese. I opened my mouth to give that as my answer but slammed my lips shut again before I'd uttered the first syllable. First of all, it sounded stupid. Secondly, cheese, though its flavors changed depending on the aging process, it did not increase in value. It did not taste sweet or make anyone particularly happy, besides those that were starving. The second line of the riddle stuck. It repeated over and over again. When Middle-aged it makes you gay, it makes you happy. I recalled drinking with my brothers late into the night, their jovial laughter growing louder with each cup of ale. The answer had to be drink. However, fae didn't drink ale.