Chapter Ninety Six

Start from the beginning

Iris broke her contact of Kayde now to step forward in front of her loved ones and shake hands with the prince. He held her grasp for an extended moment and said, "A pleasure, Miss Gwenneth. The tales I've heard of you are truly impressive."

She thanked him. Emperor Rus went on, "The rest are my top council members, the first five noble house-lords of Eldia." Iris met their eyes, still a bit overwhelmed that she'd been so important. He introduced them one-by-one, and each one came up to personally greet her. He went through First Lord Ferdinand, Second Lord Landas, Third Lord Drummond, Fourth Lord Drons, and finally...

"And last, this is--," Emperor went to introduce Fifth Lord Vause and became suddenly aware that he wasn't present. He looked confused for a moment, and then turned an eye to his son. "Where is Lysander? I'd heard he was with you."

The prince snorted. "He was." There was a pause. "I expect he'll be here shortly. You know he's always running a mite behind."

The older man introduced as Second Lord Landas grumbled, clearly irritated. "There's no tact in fashionably late."

From Iris's left side, there was a response. A musical voice said, "It's the classic way to make an entrance."

Iris turned to the sound of approaching footsteps and her slight disquiet shattered into something much more intense in a fraction of a second. Iris's entire body tensed at the new presence. Dressed in exquisite deep blue robes was someone she recognized, but only by a moniker. Streaming white-blonde hair jutted down his back, directly contrasting the rich hue of his garb. He offered his very pale hand for her to shake once he was close enough.

There was an equally haughty and dangerous look swimming in his colorless eyes as he met her gaze, almost daring her to say something.

Ghost.

"This is Fifth Lord Lysander Vause."

Kayde and Rhalla both moved closer to Iris in response, ready to protect her at all costs. Yet, all three considered their current situation. Iris was standing in front of the emperor, in a place she wasn't used to, with a child on the way. She couldn't risk provocation. Not here. Not now. So she shook his hand, albeit carefully. No one among her group said anything.

Her eyes narrowed at Lysander, though it was only barely perceptible. She schooled her expression back into nonchalance. "Greetings, Lord Vause." She treated him as all the others, as if he hadn't tried to kill her and her sister before.

"To you as well," he said kindly, his demeanor fully changed from their previous encounter.

When his hand pulled away, she found herself quickly aware that there was now what felt like a rolled up piece of parchment in her palm. She clutched it tightly out of instinct, otherwise drawing no attention to its presence.

At the end of their exchange, Emperor Rus looked at Iris's brigade of company. "I am pleased to meet all of you as well. May I get your names?"

Each one complied. It ended with her sister. At hearing Rhalla's name, the emperor offered a wide smile. "Rhalla Gwenneth. Is assume you are the same as Guardian Master Rhalla Gwenneth, then? I vaguely remember seeing a woman of your stature when I reported Iris's title to Dyran."

"I am she," her voice rumbled in her chest. She seemed to be far less intimidated by all the decorum than Iris was.

"I received word of Master Dyran's death in the same scroll that I read of your advancement." The emperor looked politely contrite. "I am sorry to hear of his passing. May the Mother Freya find his soul."