Chapter Sixty Nine

A/N -- Sorry this took so long. Had to study all month long for my certification exam. Hope you enjoy!

It was the last night at camp. They'd been marching for a few days now. While Iris was ready to get the whole ordeal over with, her heart beat rapidly in her chest. She didn't fear for herself as much as she feared for the ones she loved. Kayde, Rhalla, Azabela, Zayn... they all meant so much to her. She feared for Dregar and Ra, and all the other guardians that marched at her side. She only hoped this endeavor would give her sister peace of mind rather than more turmoil.

Iris looked across the site to see Hench sitting by a fire with Azabela. They didn't appear to be talking. Both women seemed to be staring forward in silence, connected by tightly intertwined hands. Iris was about to join them. She turned to where Kayde was still talking to his father. It looked like a heartfelt conversation, so the rogue dared not intrude. Even Dyran's panther, Nightingale, had moved away. For all anyone knew, it might be the last one they shared. A cold feeling of dread settled unkindly in her belly. She wouldn't dare imagine tomorrow without Kayde.

Iris just heaved a big breath and walked over to where her sister sat. Both Rhalla and Azabela just watched as Iris had a seat beside them. Without a word, Iris just took her sister's other hand and squeezed. Hench squeezed back tightly for a long enough moment to make Iris's hand go numb. She hardly minded. I love you, the gesture said. In silence, they sat.

Camp had fully settled within the hour. Guardians and soldiers alike went to their tents for their final rest before the battle. It was then when both Kayde and Master Dyran both shared a hug and then made their way to Iris. The silence broke with the guardian master. "Fine night out, isn't it?" he said. "Hello, miss Iris."

"That's an icebreaker," Iris chuckled. "What can I do for you, Master?"

Dyran laughed softly, his green eyes glinting the same way his son's did. "I do what I can. It was a thick silence." He took a step forward. "And nothing at present. I just came to tell you to take special care of yourself in the days to come. My son loves you quite dearly. I hope to see far more of you after this is all over." Beside Dyran, Kayde wasn't at all fazed by the words. He just nodded in agreement.

"And you, Rhalla," Dyran went on to Hench, who quickly met his eyes. "I know you hate so much for me to be overly kind to you, but you must know that I care about you too. Stay safe and alive. I..." he paused. "...You've far exceeded what I could've ever hoped for in a Second Commander... in a friend. In all these years, I've not once regretted having you at my side. May you finally find the peace that you deserve."

"Don't you die either. You're one hell of a person." Hench's lips twitched. "I mean that."

Master Dyran nodded. Meanwhile, Kayde settled down by Iris, and she felt an arm wrap around her waist.

He turned to the huntress last. "And you as well, Miss Stryder."

"I'll do my best."

"You said when we spoke alone two days ago that you were hardly a good enough person to be a guardian. After what I've seen of who you are, I can only hope you'll reconsider." He paused for a minute and then said. "Speaking of that particular conversation, the scouts are back with their reports. It seems that you were very correct in your assumption. I believe we are now ready for your... assistance."

Azabela nodded and stood. "Of course. I'll be on my way." She reached in her pack and pulled out several canteens and handed them to him one at a time. "You may not need these, but still, you should sprinkle it around the camp's perimeter. Burn a small bit on the logs a little at a time. It'll smell strange, but keep it lit."