Chapter Nine

A/N: Sorry for the wait! Job and school have been getting me lately! And also, I shamefully admit, I've been hardcore into Neverwinter (ps4 game) lately. So there's that too. *_* Also, it's late so if there's any typos or anything lurking about, forgive me, okay?

"You really..." Iris sucked in a quick breath, "...really practiced since we last did this, didn't you?" Kayde stood across the small stage, sword perched on a shoulder coolly. All he did was nod, a confirmation that was hardly needed. He was certainly faster than she remembered, which left her quite winded. Iris thanked the gods for small favors, though... at least she wasn't getting whacked around with a pole.

"I do my best," he answered after a moment and tossed her his water-skin, which she drank from. "I don't know if you caught it, but practicing is one of the only things you can really do around here. Especially if you don't leave other than going out on assignments."

Iris pulled the water-skin from her lips and closed it off. "What? You don't leave?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "No reason to, really. I go visit my family in Eda about once or twice a month. Believe it or not, I don't know too many people aside from here. This has been my home for years, as it were." Iris knew that much, but still... she sympathized with him. She couldn't place why his situation saddened her, but it did. It seemed like he'd miss so much just staying in one spot.

"Do you not want to? I mean... there's a whole world out there, Kayde." She cast her glance at her practice daggers and turned to go sit them back on their respective rack as she spoke, only halfway focused on his answer for the moment.

The room went silent --and it was a silence that commanded attention. "There's a whole world in here too."

And then, Iris's back went ramrod straight and her eyes went wide. By the tone of his voice, she could have sworn his words carried some hidden weight. And when she turned, part of her expected his eyes to be looking right into her face. But they weren't. He was looking around at the sanctuary with admiration. Iris shook her head, almost disoriented, as the tension broke in the room. Of course he'd be saying that about his order instead of saying that about her, he'd always been a devout Guardian.

He continued. "It's small compared to the whole wide world, but the people... ah, you could never meet better. You will see, dear girl."

As he finally met her gaze again, he sheathed his own sword and gave a little bow in her direction. She snorted and bowed as well before handing his water back to him. He took it and put it away swiftly.

"Well, you still outdo yourself with your weaponry, dear girl. I am excited to see what you will become here by the end of your training."

"You know what?" she said, a slight smile curving her mouth. "Me too." The words ran through her, and for a moment, she felt whole again... like she had a purpose in this world. Finally, she let herself feel where she was at. Despite the training, the place was serene, fires of motivation coursed through her, and as she stared at who had once been her mentor... she knew that her greatest regret may soon wash away.

The world was changing again and... ah yes, she was feeling quite alright.

----

"I have news for you, girl," Hench told her the next day after they finished training. "We're packing up and heading out the week after next. Call it your first mission if you wish." The words were indifferent, but even still, they struck Iris funny.

"A mission? I thought I didn't get to do those until after I passed the Guardian trials."

Hench sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "I swear to all the gods, you're more inquisitive than my son was at three years old." The statement took Iris aback. It had been over two weeks since she'd come, and never before had Hench made such a deliberate jab, a jab like she'd known Iris for quite some time. Not to mention... a son? The woman had never mentioned raising children, much less giving birth to one.