Chapter 8

Twenty minutes after walking into Judith's nursery, you had finally been able to quiet her back down to sleep. Watching the curly-haired little girl fade off to dream land, you felt a smile grow on your lips.

Once you knew she was out, you left the room and closed the door softly and headed downstairs. When you entered the living room, Daryl was leaning one shoulder against the window sill and looking out over the quiet streets of Alexandria. He'd taken off his leather coat and vest, and even looked like he'd changed his shirt.

You stood there for a minute and took in the sight of him. The black button-down shirt clung to his shoulders, right on through to his waist. Seeing him like this, touched with the soft glow of moonlight filtering through the windows, made you feel like it was the first time you were really seeing him. You felt your breath hitch in your throat when he turned and caught you looking at him.

Daryl was nervous. His hands unable to stop fidgeting together as he took slow, tentative steps towards you.

"She good?" he motioned to Judith's room upstairs.

"Yeah, sound asleep now."

"Good," Daryl closed the distance between you but didn't reach out for you. "Feel any different?"

You smirked. "You mean different from twenty minutes ago? No. I still think you're an asshole." Your sarcastic response quelled his nerves and he gave you an honest-to-god smile.

"That's good, 'cause I still think you're a pain in the ass," Daryl said, finally reaching out and taking your chin lightly in his hands. "But I still wanna kiss you again."

"I guess that's better than when you wanted to kill me," you said with a flirtatious smile.

Daryl may have seemed nervous when you came back into the room, but there were so signs of anxiety when he started kissing you. His lips pressed down on yours greedily, his tongue desperate to entwine itself with yours. But never once did be grab or touch you roughly; your comfort being in the forefront of his mind.

You moved closer, pressing your body into is. You wanted him to know that he could enter your space without hesitation. Taking your cue, Daryl cupped the back of your head, running his fingers down your neck to your back; finally wrapping both arms around your waist.

Feeling your feet start to pick up off the floor, you kissed him deeper. Not realizing his strength, Daryl squeezed you tight causing you to moan. Afraid he was hurting you, he put you back down.

"Sorry," he said visibly flushed.

"No, you're fine," you said, "I'm good. I won't break."

"I know. Don't think we'd be here if I thought ya would."

The sound of approaching voices caused you both to take a small step back from each other, and when the front door opened, you both took another step back putting unwanted space in the middle.

He flashed you a quick, sad smile and turned his attention to the rest of your family coming home for the night.

Rick was the first one through the door, then Michonne followed by Carol. Carol was the only one who seemed to realize that they had walked in on something. Pursing her lips together, she smiled at you with raised eye brows.

"You two alright?" She asked. "Not fighting again, are you?"

"Nah," Daryl said, "just talkin' bout those warehouses from today." He threw a look in your direction, and your face flashed warm with embarrassment.