Chapter 7

The glow of the light over the kitchen sink was the only illumination in the lower part of the house. Any signs of life that were apparent earlier had disappeared and you found yourself alone in the kitchen. Pacing frantically and mumbling to yourself, you didn't notice Carol walk into the room.

"Shhhh," she said, startling you.

"Shit!" You said clutching your chest. "Sorry."

"Just got Judith down. What's wrong with you? What happened?" Carol asked going into mom mode.

"Nothing. Everyone's fine. We got the meds for Carl, Rick is there with him now while Denise tries the new antibiotics."

"Good," Carol said looking you up and down, "then why do you look like you are ready to kill someone?"

"Fucking Daryl," you mumbled just loud enough for her to hear you.

"I see," she smirked, "What did he do now?"

"Just being his usual asshole-y self," you said, taking in a deep breath trying to calm down. "Sorry, he just knows the right buttons to push,."

"Hmmm, wonder why that is," Carol muttered before flashing you a smile. "Look, I'm going to go check on Carl, can you keep an eye and ear out for Judith. She shouldn't wake up, but just in case." Carol put the monitor on the counter and grabbed her jacket from the hook.

"Oh, and if Daryl comes home, please keep in mind the sleeping baby while you two duke it out." She tossed you another smirk on the way out the door, and you found yourself alone again.

When the door opened a minute later, you thought it would be Carol coming back in with more words of wisdom, or another task to keep you busy. Turning to confront her, you found Daryl instead.

His broad frame was merely a silhouette against the door, but you could still see his chest rising and falling in frustration. As Daryl walked into the kitchen, the soft light above the sink cast a shadow across his face, but his eyes still seemed bright and fixed right on you.

"I'm sorry," his voice cracked as he took another tentative step towards you. "I was a dick."

You stepped back until your back hit the edge of the sink. You crossed your arms across your chest, and wanted to desperately hold onto the anger you felt. But with each step he took towards you, it faded away more and more.

"I don't always know what to say," Daryl looked down at his feet. "Most times, I end up saying the wrong thing."

Drawing in a deep breath he took the last step toward you, placing himself squarely in front of you at the sink. When his hand reached out to pull yours from the clutches of your crossed arms, you gave it to him without argument.

Daryl swallowed hard.

"Reason I ain't been with anyone was because I didn't think I could be. For a long time, it was hard to feel anything. When I was out there with Beth, she helped me see that I could... one day when I was ready."

Your hand felt lost, yet somehow safe being held in his. The feeling of Daryl's rough fingers on yours was suddenly everything you didn't realize you needed. You wanted to say something, but the energy Daryl had around him told you that you shouldn't.

"You're trying to let us in," he continued, offering you a soft smile. "You let me in, and I guess when that made me kinda feel somethin', it scared the shit outta me. So, I did what I do and acted like a dick."

"Oh," escaped your lips in a whisper. "You feel something... for me?"

"I know it feels nice to hold your hand," he said squeezing yours in his. His other hand reached up to touch the side of your face, but hesitated. You knew that he was trying to respect your space; trying not to have you flinch from him.

In a split second, you had yet another decision to make. Lean into his touch and confirm the growing ache you felt, or run away... again.

This time you didn't have to even consider the other options. You leaned your cheek into his touch, closing your eyes and drawing in a deep breath at the feel of him. Your eyes opened just in time to see Daryl leaning into you, inches from your face.

His eyes locked with yours, searching for permission to kiss you. He found it in your expression and leaned in, brushing his lips hesitantly against yours. His mouth opened, ever so slightly to take in more of you, and you happily let him. He let go of your hand and face and let his hands fall to your hips as he kissed you softly. Resting your hands on his chest, he pulled back from you and rested his forehead against yours.

"Daryl..."

"I'm sorry if it's too much. I don't want you to feel... uncomfortable," he said, sounding nervous.

Your hands started shaking on his chest. Daryl covered your hands with his and held them against himself.

"Is this your way of telling me that you're ready... now? With me?"

"Mhm hmm," he nodded, biting on his bottom lip. "I think it is."

"You think?" You couldn't help the laugh in your voice.

Daryl smiled, but his expression remained serious. "Yeah, it is."

He leaned in to kiss you again, and just before your lips touched, the monitor exploded with sounds of Judith from the other room, wide awake and considerably unhappy.

You laughed and leaned your head into his chest. You felt a growl of frustration from deep within him.

"Damn kids," he said and looked down at you.

"I'll go," you smiled and went to walk around him. Before you were out of his reach, Daryl gently grabbed your elbow.

"Hey, don't be too long. We wasted enough damn time already."