Chapter 3

Carol placed the casserole dish down and surveyed the faces around her table. It took a little while, but she found her stride here in Alexandria. Now that Rick was in charge, and she didn't have to wear her mask, Carol had started to form a new version of herself. One that could fulfil her need to be the mother she knew she was; nurturing and taking care of everyone. But, she could also be the person that can also handle the shit that needed handling.

She squinted in frustration when she noticed you weren't at the table. Carl was busying cutting up his sister's food, Rick and Michonne were discussing viable options for the next run beyond the walls, Daryl was making faces at Judith and Maggie was busy scribbling notes on a pad.

"Daryl, Rick, do you know if (Y/N) is coming home for dinner?" Carol asked.

"I saw her in the gazebo, think she's hanging there for a while," Rick said before turning his attention back to Michonne.

"Hmmm," Carol said and turned to go back into the kitchen. She went about getting the rest of the dishes, when Daryl walked in behind her.

"You need help?" he asked, picking at a salad of garden greens she was tossing.

She smacked his hand away, "Did you wash up?"

"Yes mom," Daryl said sarcastically, stealing another carrot from the top.

"Wonder why (Y/N) isn't joining us," she said, hoping Daryl might offer some insight.

"Dunno. Had a sorta close call today. Maybe it shook her a little more than she let on. Gotta tell ya though, she was a hell of a lot better out there than I thought she'd be."

"I'm worried about her," Carol said, furrowing her brow. "We should do something."

"Like what?"

"Maybe, just talk to her more; try and get to know her better. We really never learned anything about her life before she wound up at Grady. Even those details are sketchy at best..." Carol trailed off, lost in thought.

Daryl was quiet and contemplative for a moment.

"I wonder if she ever talked to Beth about..." no sooner did her name escape Daryl's lips, did he stop, and sigh. He knew better than to think back to that day, even months later it was hard to remember. Daryl's gaze stayed on the floor until he felt Carol's hand on his shoulder.

"It's okay, let's go eat." She said, and carried the salad out to the table.

Once the dishes were clear, everyone went their separate ways and Carol started to shut down the house. Daryl was on the porch smoking a cigarette. She thought about leaving him be, and not pressing the conversation anymore, but she felt in her heart that Daryl would be the one who could possibly break through to you.

Carol pulled her sweater tighter as she stepped out onto the porch. The chill in the air was brisker than she realized and felt a sliver of a chill run down her back. Smiling at Daryl, she leaned against the railing, watching him thoughtfully inhale and exhale the smoke.

"What?" he finally said, knowing she had something to say. "Out with it."

"I want you to try and spend some time with her," she said, brushing off his immediate annoyance.

"Carol," Daryl started and moved to where she stood at the railing. He leaned his forearms on the rails and looked up at her. "Why? Why me?"

"Because, you're the one that can help her. Help her like you helped Beth."

Her name again. Daryl's head hung low, "Why you bringin' her up?"

"You're the one that brought her up before. And because... you helped her. When the prison fell, you two were out there. You said that. You said you were out there and she changed. She grew strong and capable. You helped her do that."

"No, I didn't," Daryl said finally meeting her soft blue eyes. "Beth did that on her own. She made up her mind that she was gonna be a survivor. So, she became one."

"Until she wasn't," Carol said a bit callously. "I don't want that happening to (Y/N) too. I won't lose her to another stupid decision." Carol looked up at Daryl thoughtfully. "Haven't you noticed that besides me and Rick, you are the only one she even looks at."

"Yeah, usually when she's callin' me an asshole or flippin' me off," he said not without a little humor.

"Exactly, at least it's a response. Maggie and Glenn have all but given up trying to reach her, Sasha too. I am afraid at what happens when she finally gives up on herself altogether."

"What I don't get is, why the hell you care so much?" Daryl asked, trying to understand Carol's motives.

"I have my reasons," Carol said looking down at him. "Will you do this for me... please?"

Daryl couldn't say no to her, and she knew it. He would do anything she asked, no matter how much he didn't want to do it. She knew that too.

"Fine," he said standing up straight. "I ain't promisin' you a damn thing though. If she doesn't want me around, I ain't gonna force it."

"Fair enough," Carol said smiling. She took in a deep breath of the crisp air and looked out over Alexandria. She saw your silhouette standing in the entrance of the gazebo looking up into the sky and wondered what it was going to take to bring you out of the dark place you were currently living in.