Chapter 26

Their movements were sluggish and slow at first. Jarrer leaned heavily upon Ara and Donday as Lark led the way. Murgren kept disappearing and then reappearing before them. "Jarrer go to hot spring," he suggested.

Ara looked at Jarrer's pale face and nodded. He needed a rest and the warmth. In answer, Murgren reappeared slightly more south. But Donday shook his head. "These forests are heavily guarded. More so now. We mustn't delay."

Ara looked around the high trees. It was much lighter here than before, and she didn't sense any threat. But Donday knew much about the Elves. "Very well," she assented. "Murgren, Donday says it's too risky. We move on."

Murgren looked disappointed, but made no argument. Instead, he reappeared where he had been moments before. No sooner had they taken their first steps, when Ara's soul lighted upon danger. Shrugging out from under Jarrer's arm, she drew her bow. The others saw her actions and immediately followed suit. Murgren straightened and then hissed loudly. He vanished.

Ara concentrated. Many, many Elves heading right for them. Opening her eyes, she searched desperately for somewhere for them to hide, but found only scant bushes. "Their numbers far exceeded our own!" she cried.

"There is no way we can outrun them in our present state!" Donday said.

"Still, we had to try. Run!"

Immediately, the group sailed into action. Elves' composition of long legs and thin builds made them ideal runners. They tore through the forest, branches ripping at their clothes. Ara jumped from a sudden boulder, hit the ground rolling, and lit upon her feet without interruption of her speed—though her cheek suffered a scratch for her effort. But they'd been discovered, and she knew it.

Finally, Ara saw the first flash of color as their pursuers rounded upon them. Putting on another burst of speed, she heard a grunt. Turning her head, she saw Jarrer collapse. Panic rose within her. Had he been struck? Without hesitation, Ara dug her heels in and sprinted back to him. Donday and Lark halted and drew their bows.

Ara placed a hand on Jarrer's shoulder and met his gaze. He wasn't hurt, only weak. Relieved, she drew her own bow. Ara saw faces in the trees. At least twenty of them. And yet, none had drawn their bows or made any move to attack them. Her chest rose and fell heavily as she labored to catch her breath. Now that she was still, sweat appeared on her forehead and ran down her temples.

An Elve approached. Simultaneously, they all turned their bows to him. "I am Qumir, Captain of the Guard." He acknowledged each of them in turn with a slight bow. "I know you Lark, Donday, and Jarrer. But I've never laid eyes upon you Ara Nightstar. My Queen."

The entire company bowed their heads reverently. Ara looked at them all in stunned silence. Slowly, she lowered her weapon. Lark and Donday both looked back at her, triumph obvious upon their faces.

Lifting his head, Qumir again addressed Ara. "We've come to escort you through the wood to the army of Elves gathering on the other side, Queen."

Bending down, Ara helped Jarrer to his feet. "Murgren!" She called with her soul. Immediately, she thought she saw his eyes peeping at her from the trees.

"They speak the truth, Ara."

She blinked her thanks at him then turned back to Qumir. "Tell me, Qumir, do we have time to bathe in the spring? We've been riding Bisbeburn and traveling with little food for days." Truthfully, Ara hated to think of meeting her army greasy, nearly frozen, and wearing rags.

Qumir's eyes widened in disbelief. "Bisbeburn?"

Too tired to do anything but nod, Ara waited for him to gather himself. "The spring's this way Queen." Ara followed him through the trees. Quite suddenly, the air became misty, and then there the spring was. Even a small fall cascaded into the steamy water. "We'll create a border for you Queen." One of the Elves separated himself from the group, bowed, and graciously held out a bar of soap.