4. Thumb impressions would be easier.

It was pretty late when we were done drafting our basic layout for the Carnival. All the work was divided between the team of us, that now included a few more people.

After a little prodding, Ethan took us to his cheerleader girlfriend, who was also a junior, and without much coaxing she joined our cause. She would be a good asset for the promotion events.

Madeline agreed too, surprisingly. We needed somebody with an artsy and equally intellectual brain and she was the only person I could think of.
I approached her, anticipating extreme convincing, but she gave in pretty soon. Yay for me!

Em promised me, that she would find ways to snare Dennis into slaving for this event, which lightened my mood even further.
There is no great satisfaction than watching your best friend suffer, trust me.

So as we made our way back to the dormitories, we had several charts between Madeline and I, that needed catchy phrases to be written on them in pretty fonts.

And, as Em put it, I was given the greatest responsibility of coming up with a name for the Carnival.

No pressure, she said.

As if the term "Carnival" didn't put enough emphasis on what this was about.

"I'm so hungry, Mads", I could hear my stomach rumbling in agreement with my statement.

Mads gave me a look as she dumped all the stuff on our couch. Well, technically mine, but she stayed over at my place more often than her own room.

"Yeah, because all you ate were two cheeseburgers, a pack of salsa fries and a whole bottle of Coke", she called off, while making her way to the kitchen.

I rushed after her, making sure she understood the severity of the situation.

"But all that was hours ago! Walking here with all that stuff just burned it all up", I sat upon the bar stool and pouted at her over the counter.

She rolled her eyes at me, but began mixing a batter of something that I prayed and hoped was for pancakes.

"Set up the plates, you big baby. And ask Dennis if he wants to come over, but only if he's sober and not with a new accessory for the evening".

I laughed at her use of terms and proceeded to send Dennis a text, which promptly followed a reply from him demanding for the most pancakes.

But oops! I might have actually deleted that message. Oh wait, I didn't even get it on my phone. The things I do for my stomach.

************************************

"It seems to escape you, miss Penn, how important it is that you make an impression while you're here in Mulford university,"

I squeezed my hands into fists in my lap as I waited for the next line of her monologue. The usual emotional blackmail that followed each one of her 'pep speeches'.

"Especially given the esteemed reputation your parents have," she mockingly peered up at me over the rim of the glasses. Ah, there it was.

I refused to meet her eyes, continuing to stare down her nameplate. Willing it to burn, smolder and melt under my penetrating gaze.
An uncharacteristic whimper escaped past my lips.

Principal Billious looked up from whatever documents she were going through.

"Something you'd like to say?"

I shook my head. Yes, actually yes. But I don't think you'd like to hear the wonderful opinions I have of you.

She gave me a look bordering on disapproval. I was almost used to it by now.