Prologue

LEE HALLA

December 2015

"You are out"

Those Three words.

Three words that left my face in shock

Three words that caused Jane to tighten her grip around my hand.

Three words that made one tear fall down from Yuna's eye, and two from Minju's.

Yes, those three words.

Three words that stopped time for a while.

And for a while, everything was perfect.

But those three words made the perfect the imperfect.

Because those three words just confirmed it.

The Ark is no longer existent.
____________________________________

Silence carefully filled the whole room. It took us a few minutes before everything our CEO said sank in.

Did he really mean it? Our CEO invited us over for dinner.... to say this?

Our manager was sitting beside him, with her head down low and unable to speak. She's nervous, I can already tell.

The way she looked down on the floor while clicking the pen on her hand made me more uncomfortable on what's going to happen next.

The four of us held our hands together. It was tighter this time around. And finally, the moment came, Minju had held her tongue long enough.

With tears falling down on her face, she still managed to keep her head up facing the man sitting in front of us.

"But CEO-nim...." Her voice still shaky from the sudden announcement "It's only one month left before Yujin fully recovers. Many of our fans are waiting for our comeback, we promised them a powerful one. We don't want them to be disappointed..."

She paused for a millisecond, and then continued "It's only a month, we promise that we will do better this ti-"

All of us jumped a little when our CEO slammed a pile of folders on the table.

Especially Minju, I can feel her body stiffen as she's sitting beside me.

The look on our CEO's face guarantees that this is not going to end well. His eyes are burning with anger, sending us signals to keep quiet.

"Minju dear..." He spoke slowly with his deep voice

Minju gulped, and so did we.

"Did you not hear what I just said?" He leaned more on the table, His eyes sending daggers towards us. Even I, cannot express my mixed feelings of fear, sadness, anger and hurt at this moment.

Slowly, Our CEO's frown grew into a smile. A mischievous one. A bad sign.

"I said you're out."

No...

"Out of this company."

No...

"Out of the Ark."

NO...

"All of you"

This can't be....

"Out."

If three words weren't enough. A whole set of sentences surely didn't help either. Every word he said were like arrows piercing through our ears.