10. backstory

🚨

My body flips over lethargically on the mattress to Harry, and with my eyelids heavy, I outstretch my left hand to feel him, though it falls to the empty sheets instead

"Harry?" I open my eyes, confounded at the sight of his absence, the room freezing without his warmth.

The time on his nightstand reads half past eleven, and a folded piece of paper sits on the edge of the low wooden surface waiting for me. I stretch over and snatch it, retracting back to my position and opening it to see Harry's written it for me, not the good morning I expected after my first night here.

Caroline,
     Good morning, love. I hope you slept better after you woke up last night. I thought I heard you get sick early in the morning, I heard you in the bathroom and felt you come back, though I didn't want to keep you up to discuss it. I hope it wasn't my fault. The fish was cooked right, it had to be. I was fine after eating it, but I'm so sorry if it was my fault that you were sick. I hope you're well, my love.
     I had a work emergency I was called for this morning and didn't want to wake you. I might be gone most of the day, but you charmed Anne better than I ever could so I'm sure you'll know how to handle her. You're good with people, I don't know how you do it. Please don't say anything about what really happened in Pebblebrook or that I'm a fugitive. I may not have seen her for years, but if she knew what I was capable of, it would tear her apart.
     Good luck with her today. I love you so much and already miss you terribly. I'm excited to finally come home from work to you waiting for me and kiss you. H

Feeling somewhat lonely, I make myself slide out of bed to find Anne, strapping on my robe, carefully going downstairs as not to slip. Last night, as Harry apparently heard, I woke up to puke, the salmon having its way with me, and the lack of anything in my system compels me to stumble around.

With every step down I inhale the comforting scent of brewing coffee that unfortunately, I shouldn't drink for the baby's sake.

The house feels empty when I descend, and I discover Anne dressed and ready in the kitchen, the showy pearls around her neck catching my scanning eyes.

"Good morning, Caroline. Sleep well?"

I drag my feet into the kitchen and plop myself on the nearest barstool.

"I slept pretty good for my first night here... you?" I fib.

"Just fine, thank you. This house feels rather homey, it reminds me of the one from Pebblebrook, and well, I was rather exhausted when I headed to bed so I passed out right when I hit the mattress!"

It hits me that Harry's old house in Pebblebrook was originally his parents, a detail I suppose slipped my mind, so of course she'd be able to see the resemblance like I did.

"Do you know why Harry had to go to work all of a sudden?"

Anne takes the coffee from the pot and serves herself a cup, informing, "Harry was phoned early that they were having a health inspector come in some time today, and so he had to rush work. I assume he wanted to check things were in order. He didn't want to wake you and I was already awake."