6. chemistry

🔪
this is such a cute manip am i right????

"Tell me why we're doing this again?" Caleb gripes, the two of us sneaking into the elevator of the hotel that Caroline left me the address to

She warned me that employees here might recognize me, so I need to keep a low profile.

"Because I want you to know Caroline and Ryan, and I want them to know you. The best part of my life just came back into it, and I want to show her that I've made something of myself, catch up on things, and introduce you all properly."

The elevator closes behind us and I let out a small sigh of relief that no one saw us so far, pressing the top floor to reach the suites Caroline and Ryan are in.

"Look, H, I get it. You want to impress your girl, and she seems real great, but her friend—"

"Our friend Ryan helped me a lot with Caroline, and he's also a great guy. Give him a chance," my words come out stern and orderly, but I just find their behavior childish.

"I want tonight to go as pleasantly as possible."

He sends me a passive aggressive look, giving himself away with a roll of his light green eyes to my annoyance. I turn to him, leaning my weight on one hip, spotting that his tie is done up incorrectly and reaching out to fix it.

"You told me you have a date meeting us at the restaurant tonight, so why the fuck are you complaining. You're gonna get laid, be bloody happy about it," I remind him, bothered by his pessimistic attitude.

"Why the fuck are you all pissy, you're getting laid too! Finally, you fucking need it," he goads, leaning back away to adjust his tie himself, his back resting on the elevator wall until we reach the top floor.

I refrain from arguing; he does have a point. Tonight, after more than three months of restless sleep alone, I get to go to bed holding my girlfriend in my arms, and I don't think I've ever looked forward to anything more.

Caleb and I find the room number and knock, greeted by a smiling, classy dressed Ryan.

"Wow, Caroline is gonna fall head over heels for your suit."

I dart my eyes down to the black suit I changed into, the light pink dress shirt underneath giving it a pop of color. A slight, boastful smirk curls on my lips knowing that I was right she'd adore it. She always had a thing for my clothes.

"Can't say she wouldn't do the same for you, mate," I pat my hand on my friend's shoulder, complimenting him as I pass through the entrance. I had never seen Ryan dress up this nicely, and it suited him well.

The compliment causes the tips of his cheeks to redden, though his elatedness fades as Caleb strolls in right behind me, chin up in a haughty way.

"Ryan," Caleb makes the effort to address him civilly.