9: Who took who?

Everything went on fine through out the weeks you've stayed with the group. The prison provided barriers that kept you from the undead's grasp, and the people inside it were all willing to do anything to keep it together. Helping with runs, killing walkers along the fence and keeping watch every night.

In fact, everything is going great, that it scared you.

Thoughts were swirling in your mind and they weren't the best scenarios. You've been out there for so long that the security you're feeling now is terrifying to you.

"Y/N? Can you help me with Judith, she won't sleep, kept me up all night." You look towards the entrance of your cell and saw Carl holding Judith. You instantly smile at the two and made a gesture for him to enter.

"Hey there little ass kicker." You held out your arms to take Judith and then sat her on your lap.

"Daryl called her that too... When she was born." Carl started to say but his voice faltered as the sentence went.

"Well, I bet she is. And you'll be there to guide her... Raise her strong and keep her safe, hm?" You tell him.

You know about how his mother died, so you didn't bring it up. The important thing is that he did what he had to do and he was strong about it. It made me feel proud to see how he is now, after everything. But curious to know how he truly felt right now.

"Wow, a whole day with me and she won't even take a nap, then you carry her and she's knocked out..." Carl said in amusement. You look down to Judith and was met with her beautiful sleeping face. You smiled at this and laid her down on the cushion.

"Hey Y/N?"

"Yeah?" You respond but was met with a hug. It took a few seconds for you to wrap your arms around Carl and to pull him closer to you.

You notice Daryl peak into your cell and hesitated to say something. You gave him a half smile and he nodded then left.

"You wanna talk about it?" You asked as Carl pulled away. He gave a shrug and told you no.

"I just needed the hug, sorry." he answered.

"Yeah, we need that once in a while."

"Once in a while? You and Daryl do that more than once in a while." Carl teased, a grin plastered on his face.

You felt heat rise up from your neck at this statement, "N-no we don't. It was just one time, what're you-"

"No, I saw you two a few times."

He was right, after the incident on the guard tower, Daryl seemed to have been more intimate and occasionally teased you about it.

"Yeeaaah well remind me to smack him later." You two chuckled.

"C'mon, we should go down and see your father." You went to carry Judith while Carl followed you down the stairs.

That's when you saw something off. People were huddled around someone unfamiliar. She was a black woman and she was tied to a chair.

"Carl, can you take Judith for a moment?" You muttered and handed the tiny Grimes.

You joined the group and stood beside Daryl. "Hey, what's going on?"

People turned their attention to me and then looked at the woman.

"He must've took them to Woodbury, it has walls and there's a man they call 'Governor' who--"she started to say, but you cut her off, not understanding anything.

"Wait- who took who? Who's 'them'?" Rick looked at you and Daryl, unsure of what to say.

"Maggie and Glenn went on a supply run for Judith... And she's saying that a man took them. Merle..." Rick slowly stated, watching my reaction carefully.

"Can you draw us a map to Woodbury?? Do you know how security works there-" You began to blabber, taking out your map and approaching the black woman, when Rick stopped you.

"Hey hey, let's try to discuss this properly, we can't just go in there and ask for our people."

"Rick, they could be in trouble--"

"I know. Look, Glenn and Maggie are a part of this group. Our people. I want to take them back as much as you do. But we need a plan."

You looked at everyone else to see their reactions, and they all seemed conviced with Rick's statement. You sighed and nodded, then went back to Daryl's side.

Hershel started to check on the black woman who's name you didn't get the chance to find out. Rick went to sit infront of the woman, as if weighing what to do.

You felt Daryl's hand nudge the small of your back and he proceeded to take you outside.

Once you two were alone, you sat on the grassy field and placed your head in between your hands. You felt Daryl sit right across you, taking your hands away and cupping your cheeks.

"I don't know what I'd do without him Daryl..." you whispered.

"We'll get 'em back." his raspy but comforting voice met your ears and you couldn't help but feel calmer.

"Daryl? Who's Merle?" You asked remembering the name Rick mentioned earlier.

Daryl looked down avoiding your gaze. "Was he part of the group? Why do you guys know him?"

"He's...He's my brother."

"I thought he died back at the building Rick cuffed him to. Came back and all that was left was his hand. Guess that shit cut his arm off." Daryl explained looking anywhere but at you.

"Are you alright?" You asked and was responded to by a grunt and a nod.

"We'll get them back... All of 'em"