The Art of Mending Memories 21

Chapter 21

The sun was so beautiful as it peaked through the trees. I picked up a dark green colored pencil to add shade to the trees. It was a simple drawing ̶ the twilight view from my backyard ̶ but it was an aesthetic scene nonetheless.

I was about to pick up a yellow when I felt him. I looked up.

Aaron was standing ten feet away from me, panting. Sweat dripped down his bewildered face. His light blue shirt was drenched around the neck and under the arms. His hand was fisted with a white piece of paper sticking out.

"Kaelyn, " he gasped, his voice full of hope and disbelief. "I...I was...I just..." He stumbled over his words, like he was unsure of what to say.

I looked down and picked up the yellow pencil. "Got my letter?" I finished for him.

"Yeah." His breathing had evened out by then. I heard him walk closer until he was standing next to me. "Kaelyn," he whispered.

A small smile curved on my lips, although I was unsure why. "Yeah?"

Aaron inhaled before suddenly crashing to the ground beside me. His arms wound around my middle and pulled me to him. Red light came to life around me. Everywhere his skin touched mine, my violate color flared and mingled with his. They were like separate sparks of color weaved together. His face went into the curve of my neck.

I stiffened, imagining his teeth scraping the flesh of my neck. I squeezed my eyes closed, batting the thought out of my head. I would NOT think about that. I took a deep breath, opening my eyes.

"Kaelyn," he whispered again.

I didn't relax, but I didn't pull away. I was too afraid to think; too afraid I would change my mind. Instead, I watched as the already long shadows grew longer, and the sun disappeared.

I had known this would happen, but I was still afraid. I wanted so badly to crawl back and hide; but I had taken the chance and stepped forward. There was no going back.

"Thank you," Aaron whispered into my ear as the sun set.

I didn't know how to respond. 'You're welcome' didn't seem to fit. Unsure, I just said "I'll see you at school tomorrow."

He squeezed me tighter and kissed my cheek. "Good night." He stood up and walked away as I sat stiffly where I had been the whole time. Finally, I gathered my pencils and half finished picture before walking into the house.

Aunt Jane was smiling and humming to herself as she prepared dinner.

"What are you so happy about?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing," she replied innocently, trying to hide a smile.

I raised my eyebrow in silent questioning.

"Really! Nothing!" Her smile was covering half her face by now.

"Uh huh. How long were you staring out the window?"

"I...I was just admiring the sunset," she replied quickly.

"Right," I said slowly. "The sun that set 35 minutes ago? And yet, you're not done heating up pasta sauce?"

She sighed. "Go do your homework."

I laughed. "Busted."

Aunt Jane just frowned at me.

ʘ ʘ ʘ ʘ ʘ

I slowly climbed out of my car, careful not to spill my coffee. I closed the door and turned around, walking straight into a warm chest. Arms came around me and held me in place.

"Good morning Kaelyn," Aaron's jubilant voice said from above my head. "How are you on this gorgeous morning?"

I took a step back, breaking the contact. I looked up at Aaron's happy, smiling face.

"You know, this doesn't mean we are dating," I stated.

Aaron nodded, smiling. "I know."

"I'm just not going to go out of my way to ignore you."

"I know," he repeated, his expression the same.

"Then why are you still smiling?"

His smile grew. "You're wearing my favorite color."

I looked down at the simple green blouse, tan shorts, and sandals. I looked back up to ask him which color he meant.

"Green," he answered before I could ask the question. His eyes scanned down my body then back to my face. "You look very beautiful today, Kaelyn."

I could feel my face begin to blush and I quickly looked down. "I'm gonna go to class now," I said quickly, rushing away from Aaron.

I could hear him laughing softly on my way out of the parking lot.

----------------------------------------------

Now, before I get yelled at for posting an uncharacteristically short chapter, let me explain myself. Just because it is summer, does not mean I will post more. Sorry :( I do have a life. Also, up until this point, had everything all planned out in order. Now, I just have events in relation to each other, but not in chronological order, which I really need to do becasue it results in minor writer's block. Those are my two only real excuses, but I could make up a ton of others. I may post another segment this weekend, but no guarantee.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it. And thanks for all your comments. You guys are amazing =D