Chapter 15: Night

Start from the beginning

And from that moment on, she swore to herself that she would never go back to New Jersey ever again.

¤¤¤

February 18th arrived and the small town in New Jersey felt the impact of Adam's grief. He was a month away from marrying another woman- and it seemed like it was for the sole purpose of moving on. He couldn't bring himself to even tell Magdalene he loved her, much less make love to her.

It was the one year anniversary of the death- the suicide- of Eleanor Carnegie. Typically Adam would be out and about like normal, but today the images he had seen kept replaying in his mind.

Her running out of his house. Him watching her run and forgetting he could actually move behind her. And when he finally got the courage to follow after her, she was gone. No longer in his presence as he heard the loud squeak of tires on the paved road and a loud scream escape her lips. He quickened his pace at the sight before him, there was blood all over the ground, a very shocked truck driver rushing out to see what happened. Adam's fist collided with the man's face.

"You killed her!" Adam shouted, his soul draining from his eyes as he became suddenly violent.

"She ran in front of me." The hazardous scene was followed by a bunch of cop cars minutes later. There was no time for someone to bury Eleanor's body because she hadn't fully commited to her death.

"That was my wife!" Adam's voice cracked as he tried to regain his composure. He shouted in the middle of the night, tears trailing down his face angrily as he threw another punch at the truck driver. He grabbed the old man by the collar and yelled loud enough to wake up the entire block. The chaotic scene was only stopped by an officer of the service as he pulled Adam away from the truck driver. The town had basically awoken to life now as more and more people came to watch Adam Carnegie lose his shit.

"Relax son." The cop said, but that enraged Adam further as he directed his pain and anger onto the officer. He tossed a punch and was immediately pulled back and handcuffed.

Eleanor was frightened as she watched the scene unfold in the distance. She had no idea what she would do now. She had no idea Adam would react like this- it was in his vulnerable state, handcuffed, that she hid silently and watched. And although she was sure of herself, she didn't know what she should do no. She wondered how crazy it would be if she stepped out of her spot beside the three large trees on the street but thought against it.

She was too hurt, too scared to cry at the sight in front of her. Adam had erupted, Adam had gone crazy and took the meaning to a whole other level. Eleanor whimpered silently, crouching down in her spot for what seemed like hours as they cleaned it up.

Adam remained handcuffed as he sat on the ground, his head was downcast and his chiseled jaw dripped tears. It pained Eleanor to watch as he finally got up, hours after the cops had left and taken their handcuffs off of him. He wiped his eyes and began the walk home alone.

Eleanor struggled to hold herself back, to prevent herself from running forward and hugging him ever so tightly that his pain would stop. But she hitched in her tracks and remained crouched behind the trees. She didn't think she could pull it off, but she had.

Adam now lay on his bed, a year later and stared at the side Eleanor usually slept on. That side had been empty for exactly a year to this day.

He couldn't even bring himself to be tossed into the events prior to that fateful night, none of those twisted curves should have happened. He shook the thoughts away- it shouldn't have hurt him this much. They were never meant to fall in love. They were meant to be together forever.

Adam's original plan was to marry Eleanor and have his father deal with the Hays money situation and then he could stay with her until his father said it was okay to leave.

He had liked Eleanor, her looks were outstanding and her beauty outshined the rest of the population. But within a day of marriage, he realized the sweet innocent girl he had met years ago had become a sex addict. She had changed so much and Adam just knew he had to get her back on track.

She cheated on him her first day at his home. She despised him and in a way, that made him work harder for her attention. Eleanor was a great communicator, she spoke her mind and although she didn't care for him other than his body, she quickly got over that.

The genie Adam hadn't realized was on the island had told them their fates and everything he had said had occurred, in a sick twisted sort of way.

And at this moment of solitude, staring at the pillows where Eleanor used to lay her head, Adam cried for what felt like the billionth time that year.