Chapter 6: The city

{Ellie's POV}
I wake up first and quickly move back to Gally, I don't want him to notice that I've been away from him. I lay down next to him, and when I look down at myself I notice something strange. My skin is almost a bit grey, and my veins seem to be much more visible than before. My fingers smell really bad and my nails are of an unnatural shade of yellow. I remember the tattoo on my neck. Maybe it's just the lack of a shower and real food I think to myself as I try to fall asleep again. It is of no good use, so instead I get up and look forward. There is what seems to be an abandoned city some miles ahead of us, and I really hope that we can find some more supplies over there. I check our backpacks, and we've only got food for a maximum of 2 days. I can't have been that careful, cause as I turn around I notice Thomas yawning and stretching out his arms.
"How long have you been awake?" He asks.
"Just a few minutes. I've checked on our supplies and we're in desperate need of water and food" Thomas nods as if he already knew this, and didn't want to be reminded of it.
"Yeah I know... I think we should go trough that city and scavenge it. There might be other useful things there too" He says as he gets up.
"I was just thinking about that, only problem is that we might encounter some cranks on our way" I reply, feeling disgusted by the very thought of them.
"We're going to meet with some cranks whatever we do, it's inevitable out here" Minho says now, apparently awake too. I simply sigh and nod in agreement.
"You look like klunk Ellie, Here, eat this. Trust me you'll be needing that energy" Minho says as he takes an apple out of a bag and throws it at me. I know there's no point in arguing about not wanting to waste any food, so I just take a bite.
More people start to wake up, and eventually we're all ready to leave.

"Alright, lets go then. To the city" Newt says as he and Thomas leads the way. Me and Minho are walking in the back. There goes a while with none of us saying anything, until Gally some meters up front stops in his tracks and looks at me, smiles, and turns back again.
"That shank really likes you huh" Minho says and turns to me. I get caught off guard and don't really know what to answer. He notices this and his face immedatly turns into a very serious and concerned one.
"I know this is a very personal question, but I want you to be honest with me now..." He sighs and it seems as if he's building up a lot of courage. A sudden panic fills me and I fear for the worst question possible.
"Do you really love him back?" Something within me stops. The way he said it makes me feel so relieved and happy, but yet very stressed. His expression says it all, he doesn't mean it in a way that he likes me, and wants to make me and Gally split up, but he says it in a deeply caring way, truly wanting to help me. It makes me so happy to know that I've got such a kind friend, but it makes me anxiuos, since I don't know what to answer.
"Ellie you can be honest with me, I wont tell any-"
"No no, it's fine. We are doing perfectly fine" I tell him, but I'm mostly trying to tell it to myself. He just sighs and nods, not really believing me. I sigh too, and remember something from quite some time ago.

{The day after the bonfire, Ellie's POV}

Thomas, Newt and Minho are already standing by the east gate, waiting for me. I had slept past my alarm and I feel really dizzy after yesterday. Everything is spinning and it's hard to see clear. I pick up my pace towards them.
"Glad to see that you're here early" Minho says, mockingly.
"Ugh, shut it. I didn't... sleep well" I lie.
"Come on now" Thomas waves for us to enter. We all jog in together, but Thomas takes the first turn to the left, leaving me with Minho and Newt. Newt hasn't looked at me at all, and he seems very down.
"So... I heard about last night..." Minho says. At this however, Newt reacts. He immediately turns pale and it looks as if though his heart sinks all the way to the ground. I feel my cheeks start to burn and how my whole face turns red. What exactly does Minho mean about "last night"?
"Gally huh? Never thought about that one" he chuckles.
"Wait what?" I ask. Did Minho see what Gally did?
"Gally's bragging all about how you're his girlfriend now" My heart skips a beat. What did Minho just say? What has Gally been telling people? I don't know if it's possible, but I'm blushing even more now. Minho must've noticed this since he now looks very concerned.
"You two shanks are together right? It's not some sort of misunderstanding?" He asks.
"Uh... no no... yeah... that's right... heh..." I quickly answer, but I don't even know why. I have never had any feelings for him, so how am I now his girlfriend? I could just tell them that I've never agreed to this, but I don't want to embarrass Gally. There's an awkward silence between us, until it's interrupted by Minho.
"Well... I'll turn now" He says and runs to the left, while me and Newt continue forward. Once again there's an awkward silence between us, even though there shouldn't be one. Why does Newt even care about what happened between me and Gally?, and why do I care about what Newt thinks? Thousands of thoughts are spinning in my head and I start to feel ill.
Newt turns right and I turn left to continue with my route. I keep on running but I feel more and more dizzy. Everything is spinning. I definitely drank way too much of that drink Gally gave me yesterday. I stop and stand against the wall, I can't keep the balance. A nasty feeling goes trough my stomach and I throw up. I puke and cry. I feel so lost, I don't understand what is happening with me. I just wish that last night wouldn't have happened. I keep on throwing up, and I just lie on the ground. All of a sudden Newt shows up behind me. He must've heard me and gone after me.
"Bloody hell what happened?!" He runs towards me, and he doesn't seem sad anymore.
"I-I think I'm ill, I drank a whole bottle myself last night tryi-"
"A whole bottle?! Oh god Ellie, that was almost pure alcohol! It's like drinking poison!" He shouts at me.
"I know I know, I just wanted to forget, It all went so wrong..." My head feels heavier and heavier.
"Come on now, let's get you back to the glade" he says, trying hard to sound positive. I feel how I'm slowly starting to faint away, but I feel calm, cause Newt doesn't seem to be mad at me.