3.10.5 | Before the Past

Start from the beginning

I shake my head, reminding myself that I was here with a mission. I had things to accomplish right now. Just because a guy hadn't been in my life in years, I couldn't jump and act all gushy at the first one that happened to come by.

With a quick wave, I walked off to let Arnav and Khushi know I was here and that I wanted to make an announcement as well.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

I asked for the microphone after the curtain over the huge print out of the calendar's front cover was pulled down. Arnav handed it over. "Good evening, everyone. I know the focus for tonight is the calendar, but I also thought it was the perfect occasion to make an announcement as well. Many of you know I took a hiatus from designing for personal reasons. It was recently that someone reminded me why I started designing in the first place. I don't want to give any big speech, but I've decided its time I get back to doing what I loved at one point."

The sounds of camera shutters of others cheering didn't matter as Arnav embraced me tightly. I knew he would be thrilled at the news. In the starting, he would try to get me to come to office by making excuses. At first, I used to go just to humor him that I was buying his excuses. Then, I couldn't push through and I wouldn't go to the meetings or events. Arnav would simply fill me in on the overall decisions once he would come home.

Just as I was stepping down from the stage to let the launch events proceed after the announcement, I caught a glimpse of Aman. He had the biggest sparkle in his eyes I had ever seen. Arnav always told me that our oldest employees missed having me around. Until now, I didn't realize how truthfully he was telling me that. I used to say they were just being kind. But this... the look of Aman's face, it was more than that of kind. He wasn't happy just on a professional front. He was genuinely happy with my decision.

After the end of the launch and everyone started to mingle, a lot of my old acquaintances from different fashion houses that I used to stay in touch with came up to me, welcoming me back and how they were excited to see what line I come up with. Many even asked, but I had no answer for them. So far, I had just decided to be back. I hadn't thought past that. It was overwhelming to see how many of them looked truly happy with my decision. Some even went on to claim that alas fashion industry will have its charm back. I wouldn't go so far to say that... but they insisted they hadn't seen anything creatively ingenious in some time.

Sadly, it only added the pressure on me. It didn't make me feel good as they probably assumed it would.

As people made their way to the dance floor, I decided to take a break from socializing and sat with Aarav and Angel. Arnav and Lavanya soon joined us just as Jennifer came to take Angel back with her to their hotel as it was getting late and I could understand. Angel was still a kid. She had to be tired from the long flight from Australia.

Aarav shook my knee to get my attention when I had just been looking around the place, "Di, mom's saying you're going back to work. Does that mean we won't get to play together anymore?"

I gave him a wide smile at the frown on his face and assured him, "No baby, not at all. No one hijacks our play time."

He brightened up at hearing I'd still play with him, "Promise?"

I shook his tiny hand, "Promise." I pulled his cheek and gave him a kiss. I can't believe he is 6 years old already. Time flies by so fast.

I looked up when I heard a throat being cleared. My back straightened out seeing Aman standing in front of my chair. "So, now that you are officially back, how about we celebrate that with a dance, boss?"

Boss? I had to smile at his attempt. He was trying to make this either professional or casual so I wouldn't read into it. I placed my hand in his palm, "Sure."