Jellal x Reader | Witch Hunt | AU

Start from the beginning

Without thinking, she had thanked and smiled at the person. When she looked up, she had realised that he was the prince.

He had given her a kind smile before standing up and walking away. All kinds of glares were aimed her way but she remained indifferent, watching as he left.

He had a charming smile, but his eyes showed signs of loneliness.

'No need for a magic to stop time, no spell can achieve what I feel'
'Love bounding through every hour joy lights a new day'

The two met up many more times after that encounter and [Name] found herself, if possible, falling more and more for the prince.

The prince, named Jellal Fernandes, would often sneak out of his duties to visit the girl in front of the place [Name] worked at.

Her face would light up whenever they spoke and it was as if time would stop for them, as though they were the only ones who mattered in the world.

[Name] learned that the prince was lonely in the castle. None of the servants were allowed to speak to him freely. He knew no one who did not just like him for himself, only for his status as a prince.

Who he was born as.

He had confessed that she made him feel like a different person. That's why he visited her so often.

They continued to talk to each other for months, but they always had to be in secret.

For he was a prince, of royal blood, while she was only a simple herbalist from a small village. Society would never accept them together.

They won't be accepted together. Not by the girls who wanted to be noticed by the prince and not by the boys who admired [Name] for her beauty.

For [Name], everyday was something to look forward to, because she could always count on Jellal to cheer her up.

They eventually fell in love.

But not all endings are happy, not all stories have a happy ending.

'Tied me tight to a cross, I look longing at the sky'
'Penitence for your crime!'
'Penitence and your life!'
'If I pray, who will hear? I am drowning in their cheers'
'Devotion turned to dusty tombs'

One night, after [Name] had come home from work, she was interrupted by a banging at her door. It was rough and impatient.

When she opened the door, she was greeted with an angry mob at the door. They all held torches with weapons, all chanting similar things.

'Get the witch!'

'Kill the witch!'

"Capture the witch!'

[Name] didn't have time to respond as she was shoved to the ground. The people had roughly grabbed her and tied her up, despite her protests.

How did they know? But she was so careful...

She owned no witchcraft books, she's never used her magic before, she's only ever used medicines that humans had already known off. How was it possible that they knew she was a witch?