Chapter 12: Dishonesty

Start from the beginning

"Hi, I'm Elena." Her voice sounded eerily familiar, but he couldn't place his finger on it. He had a barrier in his mind as the images and the screams he heard that night replayed in his mind. How could one girl remind him so much of the woman he loved- the woman who killed him. She had a thick English accent that seemed to accentuate her lips when she talked. He suddenly felt the urge to kiss the stranger across from him, but quickly concealed it and turned away. He couldn't put a finger on why this stranger made him feel all sorts of crazy.

Magdelene flew into his mind as he tossed her away. He felt out of control as he looked at the redhead in front of him.

Damn, she was beautiful.

"Have we met before?" He gazed into her green eyes.

"Last night." She smiled, showing familiar white teeth that he had seen smile on multiple occasions, but thousands of people had perfectly shaped white teeth, nothing special. Her contagious smile had him grinning back, it felt like forever since he had last genuinely smiled and he was grateful that this girl existed.

Eleanor couldn't believe her eyes as she stared at the love of her life, her husband, Adam Carnegie and realized that he was so close yet so damn far. She flinched at the thought as he laughed softly, a hearty growl that was so very sexy escaped his lips.

She felt weak in the knees, grateful that she was seated.

"I'm sorry about that. I should've helped you up. I've just had a lot on my mind, I apologize." Hot guys only apologize to hot girls. Eleanor thought. Perhaps he didn't get a good look at her yesterday.

Eleanor nodded, she couldn't wipe the embarrassing smile from her face as she continued to stare at him.

"Let me make it up to you?" He suggested, taking out a couple twenties from his pocket. "I think that's about enough to help you fly home?" He said, "maybe your family in England can help if you broke your butt or something." He chuckled then went silent.

Eleanor wished for nothing more than for the conversation to flow like it had way back when. Unfortunately, It wasn't happening as she and Adam silently leaned back. Their fingers remained near each other and neither dared move them. Max glanced at the rear view mirror- and then he knew. With a smug grin that he failed to hide, Maximilian Killian had figured out the biggest secret of the century. Of course he wasn't absolutely sure, but by the look of them, it was definitely Eleanor and Adam.

Eleanor usually wasn't nosy, but at this moment in time, she was curious as to what he had been doing this morning. She said nothing the rest of the ride; Adam seemed lost in thought.

~🥀~

Was Josiah dreaming or was the actual president of Carnegie Hall, a bazillion dollar company, in his office.

"I'll be right back. Hold tight." He told Adam, stepping outside to catch a few breaths. The only thought on his mind was Bree- Eleanor. He wondered what she had told him, if she had told him.

But wouldn't any new discoveries be on the news? Literally everything about their lives was publicized for the reason that Adam was Mr. Carnegie.

He headed into his office, opening the laptop and searching in Adam's name. A small biography flashed on the screen. His birthday was December 28, Eleanor went to New Jersey to give him the ring back and that must have ticked him off. It gave him an idea and the light bulb certainly flashed in his mind.

He didn't know what Eleanor had done to be in hiding like this, but he didn't trust Carnegie. Nobody ever trusted a Carnegie, they'd always get stabbed in the back.

Josiah was curious however, and glanced at an image of the same man in his office on the computer screen. All that did was confirm that that was Mr. Carnegie, now-owner of a billion-dollar business, Carnegie Hall, since his late father's passing.

There were no magical answers to what to do about this situation. Bree- Eleanor had left him cold and he was struggling to figure out whether he should protect her for not. Being an understanding person also meant he realized he would have done the same thing, perhaps for both their safeties. He realized that if he were in her shoes and someone found that she was the famous well-known Mrs. Carnegie, he would flee also.

Josiah left the office and headed back to the room.

"So what's the matter Mr. Carnegie?"

"I need answers." He folded his arms over his chest and a shallow smirk formed.

"Treatment I can give but answers isn't exactly what a doctor does."

"You filed Bree missing, did she know Eleanor in any way?"

"Look, I refuse to talk about this, your friend the detective has already stolen from me and knocked me out cold so I don't want to bring up that topic."

Damn it Zac! Adam thought, feeling enraged as he carefully untied his arms from each other and placed them on the table behind him. He leaned on the table with his arms while crossing his ankles casually. He wanted to appear as calm as possible because when he was calm, he got what words he needed.

Adam missed the olden days with Eleanor. He missed it so much that it hurt.

"Dr. Matthews right," Adam felt bad for what he was about to do, but he didn't care, "I'm warning you now, tell me what you know or all your hard work will go down the drain," Adam hissed quietly. Josiah's eyes widened, confused by what Adam meant. Clearly it was a threat- he didn't know how to react.

"I..." Josiah didn't know what to think, what to say. He stared straight ahead. Thoughts of Eleanor filling his mind. It was either his job or her.