The Worst

"So, how did it go?"

I gaped at Joanne who was grinning across me. "I hate him but I love you both together."

"Wait a minute," I say, holding arms up, "Who's side are you on? I thought you vote for Nathan."

"This is so good to have guys fight over you. I really envy your life." She sighs, sipping on her milk.

"If only you knew, you wouldn't want it."

She claps her hands, "So tell me what happened next."

"Nothing happened."

"After all the arguing and the teasing, nothing happened?"

"Yes, I woke up and he was gone."

"You just slept. Did you even try to rape him or something? If a guy like him was sleeping on my bed, I would've taken a chance."

"Eww! Shut up!" I threw her tissues, "We are not talking about this!"

"You really did rape him!"

"No I didn't! We just slept that's all." I pushed, rolling my eyes.

The bell rings and a customer enters.

"Good morning," she says, walking to the counter. I leave for a moment to entertain her.

When I got back, Joanne was busy looking through her phone.

"Hey, I have something going on. Would you mind coming with me?" She says, looking up.

"No, I don't. I'll close shop first."

"Okay," she whispers, heading outside to wait.

After I closed the shop, we hailed a taxi. She opens the door beside the driver, "Parklane please."

"Isn't that the new building constructed downtown?"

"Yes, my client's waiting for me there."

"Who's your client?"

"Someone named Fiona Pauls, she wants me to photograph her wedding pictures."

"That's sweet, Jo."

"Yeah, thanks."

******

"Can you wait for me outside?" She asks. I nodded, leaning on the wall of the building's main entrance.

"Yeah, no problem."

"I'll be done in a jiffy, wait for me."

"I'll just take a stroll around here so I wouldn't get bored waiting."

"Fine," she says, kissing me on the cheek. I backed away startled of the moment. She giggled, waving to me as she disappeared behind the doors.

I looked left and right. Seeing a park on the left, I walked to it, the leaves crushing under my rubber shoes. It was almost dusk and the sun's rays was an orange yellow. I hummed to myself, taking time in walking. A store was across the street, it's little trinkets on the window attracting me. I walked over the sidewalk to the pedestrian lane.

Everything happened too fast.

A black car skittered, it's tires squealing on the asphalt road. It was wrecked as it crashed into a brick wall. In top speed, it left the hood bend so much and the glass broken. The engine was heating up, smoke coming from it. One side was crushed to the wall.

I ran. I just ran. Towards it.

I peeked inside behind the curtains of smoke and the smel of gasoline. There was an old man on the passenger seat and a lady who's face I can clearly remember.

Daphne. Louis.

Car crash.

I took Daphne out since she was the easiest to get through. I lay her outside on the sidewalk as far from the car as possible. The car reeked so much of the stench of fuel that I had to gag. There's a possibility of an explosion.

I have to save Louis.

I ran over to his side, the glass shattered before him. He was injured greatly, blood and the color red all over him. I kicked the side mirror off to allow myself some space. It was stuck to the wall. I glanced up to look for anyone who could help.

But there was none. This was a new neighborhood. A quiet street no one knew about yet.

I grunted, trying to think of ways to get him out. The smell was stronger now.

He could get out through the shattered windshield. But I'll get injured.

He saved me and my brother. I have to return what I got from him.

I put my arms in the shattered glass, the peices sharp and threatening to my skin. I reached out a little bit more, my body sticking to the side of the car. It was hot. I jumped a little, cursing as a peice of the sharp glass grazes my skin.

I tried again, the hot body of the car was excruciating but I have to endure it. I have to. I can't let Ashfield lose another parent. He'll be broken, just like me.

I managed to grab onto his arms, my face now so close to the glass. I have to get closer to pull him.

And I did, wounding my face with grazes from the glass.

I managed to get him out, pulling on his arms as he lay face down on the side of the hood. I pulled again, harder, losing my footing because of his weight. But I managed to gain my feet again, dragging him away from the wreckage.

I lay him beside Daphne. I inspected them both. Daphne only had minimal bruises and some scars on her neck and face. Louis had worse.

He could possibly be in a coma.

His head was bleeding, a blood vessel ruptured on his head, his chest with shards of the glass. I gasped, fumbling for my phone. My belongs spill on the side walk. With shaking hands I reach for my phone. I dialed the hospital's number.

"Hello? There's been an accident."

"Where is this ma'am?"

"Parklane, downtown. An old man is severely wounded and the woman is just a minor case. Please hurry."

"We'll send an ambulance over there quickly madam, don't worry."

"Please hurry." I say before disconnecting the call.

This was the second time a life was slowly disappearing before my eyes. Louis.

I clasped his hands. I can't do anything. First aid is not applicable in his state. I prayed silently, closing my eyes as the tears fall.

He was my second parent. I can't lose him. He can't lose him too.

I dialed Ashfield's number.

"Ashfield," I say through quivering breaths. "Louis had an accident. And Daphne too."

Without a reply, he hangs up.