Chapter 6

Chapter 6- new friend

Apparently, I have to do this alone, because the group is now headed to the warehouse, and I have to stop Creg. Right now I’m sitting in my apartment’s lobby with a magazine covering my face. It was midnight and the clerk at the desk had fallen asleep. I heard footsteps and snuck a peek at the guy. It was Creg. He went out of the door, paying no attention to me. I put on a black ski mask and headed out following him. He mostly passed by alleyways, me following a couple people distance behind him. We were in a dark alleyway when Creg stopped and turned around. I quickly hid behind a wall and held my breath.

Please don’t let me blow this…

Fate hating me, Creg spoke.

“I know you’re there,” he said calmly.

“Come out, come out wherever you are,” he sang. I sighed and slowly moved away from the wall. He immediately lunged at me but I narrowly ducked. He managed to keep his balance and threw a punch at me. I caught his arm and threw him against the wall. I pressed the emergency button on my watch. Creg stood up and ran towards me. He pushed me against the wall. My head made contact with the wall, and my eyesight started getting blurry. He was too heavy for me to break away from.

“You are quite the silent one,” he said. I made no sound.

“Now let’s see your pretty face,” He said his hand at the end of my mask. My breath caught. No, he’ll kill me and this’ll ruin the mission. I heard a gunshot and Creg let go of me.

“Shit!” he yelled holding his arm, which was bleeding. He had gotten shot. People with masks and guns started running towards him. Creg fled.

“Are you alright?” someone said kneeling besides me. When did I get on the floor? I wanted to speak or nod, but I was too tired. I felt my eyes drooping.

“Oh no you don’t,” I heard the person say.

“Ms. Demur, you better not fall asleep on me. Boss would kill me!” The temptation to sleep was so strong.

“There’s blood trickling down your head; you might have a concussion, so you need to stay awake for me, alright?” I heard the person vaguely ask. I nodded at his desperate tone. He was carrying me. He put me in a passenger seat of a car, and then got in the driver seat himself.

“Alright, now try and talk to me” I nodded.

“What’s your name?” I mumbled.

“Alec, I’m 25 years old. How old are you?”

“18,” I mumbled.

*******

Somehow, I made it pass the journey to headquarters. The trip was not even long, but felt like eternity to me. Our doctor checked my head and did a few tests. It turns out I didn’t have anything serious, so Alec was fussing over nothing.

I was sitting on my bed, sipping on hot chocolate. Alec had driven me home.

“I screwed up,” I mumbled against the cup. Creg had managed to escape. This mission was so simple, just follow him and I failed, badly.

“Oh come on, not a big deal. He noticed you were following, not your fault. It was just bad luck. I just pity our agents who lost him. Now, they screwed up badly,” Alec said. He was sitting in a chair, also drinking hot chocolate after I invited him in.

“I got to ask you something,” Alec said looking down.

“What is it?” I asked sitting up curiously.

“You came from Georgia right? By any chance did you know an agent named Lola?”

“Yeah, she was a close person to me,” I said realizing I still missed her.

“How did you know her?” I asked.

“She’s my sister. She got transferred to Georgia and I never saw her after that. I wanted to ask if she’s alright. They won’t let us communicate, because it’s too risky,” Alec said with a face of sorrow.

“She’s fine, don’t worry,” I said smiling for him, but in reality it was a sad smile.

“Well, I should get going now,” Alec said standing up and heading towards the door.

“Wait!” I called right as he got outside of my door into the hallway.

“Yes?”

“Thank you,” I said.

“Good bye, Kate,” Alec said winking and walked away. I smiled widely. I had just made a friend. I closed the door and flopped down on my bed. I was dead tired. I had missed the second day of school thanks to Creg. I wonder if he’s ok. Not that I care or anything, but you know…

******

I woke up the next morning really wishing school didn’t exist. I looked out the window. It was sunny, so I just wore black skinny jeans and a black tank top with a purple plaid shirt on top of it. I quickly ran to the door, slipping on my purple Vans and putting my backpack on. I would stop by a donut shop or something on the way. As I walked out of the door and closed it behind me, I noticed someone walking down the hall this way. Can you guess who it was? Yup, it was Creg. I think running into him has become a daily routine for me. He smiled when he noticed it was me.

“Hey Kate,” he said.

“Hi,” I said looking down and continued to walk. He started walking next to me.

“How was school yesterday?” he asked me.

“I was absent, because I was sick. You weren’t there also?” I asked looking at him suspiciously. He chuckled nervously. He was acting pretty weird today.

“Same here, I was also sick,” he said. We stepped outside the apartment and it was freezing cold.

“What the hell?” I groaned and looked up at the sun. It was shining bright. It was a blue sky, yet it was really cold.

“You didn’t bring a jacket did you?” Creg said.

“Um, it looked hot outside,” I said. I didn’t want to go up all the way to my apartment and grab a sweater.

I guess Creg guessed my thoughts because he said, “I have a jacket in my car.” He pointed to the car in front of us and my mouth dropped. I didn’t know much about cars, but I did know that this was a Lamborghini Gallardo.

“That’s your car?” I asked speechless.

“Be jealous,” he said smirking and opened the door. He tossed me a sweater and I put it on. He hopped in the car.

“Want a ride to school?” he asked me.

“No thanks,” I said and started to walk away, but then stopped and turned.

“Thanks for the sweater!” I yelled at him. He drove right past me, but I could swear I saw him smile genuinely.